BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Best way to change the font for an entire project or template

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Periodically, someone asks me how to change the font used in a project, or for a template (such as MasterTemplate) to their preferred office standard.

As far as I know, there is no global setting or quick way to do this.

Here is what I wrote up for this client - I'm wondering if anyone has a better way to do this, or some power tools that make it easier:
Unfortunately, this is not something easily done in ARCHICAD.

To do this, you'll need to change in the template itself:

1) The default settings for the following tools:
- Text
- Dimension
- Label
- all the Markers such as Elevation, Section, Interior Elevation, Detail, Worksheet

2) On each story, you'll need to change the settings for any of these elements that are pre-placed. The simplest way to do this is to show and unlock all layers except for the one that makes the Legend Hotlinked Modules visible, then activate the tool (e.g. Text tool) then Select All Text Elements (CTRL-A or Command-A) and change the settings of the selected elements. Note that if you have the Legend visible, then you'll have a problem, because elements in a Hotlinked Module cannot be modified in the file they are placed into (you have to modify them in the source file). Repeat for each element type. Repeat the process for each story.

3) Go through each Viewpoint in the Project Map and repeat step 2. For many viewpoints there will not be pre-placed elements that you need to change, or only some types; work slowly and carefully.

4) Go through the Favorites looking for all annotation elements that use text (the same tool types as above) and right-click to Edit the favorite.

5) Repeat step 2 in the Interactive Legends hotlinked files.

Do this in the template and Legends, and then all new project files based on the template will have your desired text settings.

It's a pain. Wish it would be easier for everyone.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately you have pretty much got it.

Don't forget that any pre-placed objects will need to be opened and adjusted if they display any text.
Also amend the favourites for those objects if you have any.

Oh, and don't forget the schedules.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Learn and get certified!