Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Bypassing Autotext

Anonymous
Not applicable
Situation:

Layout with 1:50 section and 1:500 Key Plan. I have Autotext in my Master for drawing scale, but only want it to show the scale of the section and not the key plan.

Is there a way to get the Autotext to not read from a particular drawing. I have looked for a check box (in drawing settings within layout) to this effect but found none.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
Is there a way to get the Autotext to not read from a particular drawing. I have looked for a check box (in drawing settings within layout) to this effect but found none.
hi stuart

does the order of which the drawings appear in the layout's layout map make any difference to your situation.
Anyone else think this would be a good idea?
possibly. 'back-referencing' autotext . . ?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Not sure how much this is going to help you mate, because your autotext is on the master layout.

If it was on the layout itself, you could right click on the drawing whose scale you did want, and select 'Set as Autotext Reference'. Then you could edit the text and from the Insert Autotext dialog, choose the 'Reference from...' Category and the 'Drawing Scale Ref.' autotext.

But since the autotext is on your master, you may want to get the Twink out (solid white fill)!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:

does the order of which the drawings appear in the layout's layout map make any difference to your situation.

~/archiben
Nope. It just reads both values automatically.
Link wrote:
Not sure how much this is going to help you mate, because your autotext is on the master layout.

If it was on the layout itself, you could right click on the drawing whose scale you did want, and select 'Set as Autotext Reference'. Then you could edit the text and from the Insert Autotext dialog, choose the 'Reference from...' Category and the 'Drawing Scale Ref.' autotext.

But since the autotext is on your master, you may want to get the Twink out (solid white fill)!

Cheers,
Link.
Yeah, that would work, but just sounds slightly less than automatic. Back in the "olden" days (read AC/PM9) I just put scale in manually and tried to remember when to change it. Similar amount of effort required.

Thanks guys.
Aussie John
Newcomer
s2art wrote:
Yeah, that would work, but just sounds slightly less than automatic. Back in the "olden" days (read AC/PM9) I just put scale in manually and tried to remember when to change it. Similar amount of effort required.
its for that very reason I dont put scales in the title block but append then to each drawing
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
O.K. Another question along similar lines, hoping to get a different answer...

How do people get around Masters using autotext for draughtsman's name (or CAD Technician by default in Project Info), if there is more than one person working on a set of drawings? (I'm thinking separate masters for each person, and not using autotext at all for name, but hoping there's a better way).

First experience in Teamwork, I don't have too many complaints.

Thanks
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You'd have to use Autotext on the layouts mate. Multiple autotexts that each CAD tech would reference manually (inc. copy & paste) on each layout they worked on.

There are some things that just need to be entered on a layout-by-layout basis sometimes (CAD Tech, Scales, Drawing Grid, etc), but we just don't have that ability yet.

Until we do, we need multiple masters, and as you are probably aware, the master list can get quite long and out of control.

Some things can be handled by Layout layer combos, but still, their visibility is global across the entire layout book, so it doesn't always help.

I have been wishing no end for GS to come up with a way to make layouts/masters/autotext and layer combinations work better, but with not much luck yet.

Sorry for the same answer. About as useful as an English cricket team!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Link, I thought as much.

I was thinking a possible way around something like multiple options for autotext fields could be radio-button options you could set from the Layout Settings dialogue (set up from Project info, possibly). There are probably more pressing things GS should be working on though.