Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Ceiling height Level Dimension tool

Ugljesa Janjic
Newcomer
Does anyone know how to adjust this? I am using the ceiling slab and then applying a Level Dimension to it. This is the easiest way for me to track the ceiling heights without having to do it manually.
It is all good when on first floor, given that the floor slab is at 0. The problem is when I go up on second and upper levels. The Level Dimension tool shows a dimension (height) relative to the ground level 0, so I end up having a ceiling elevation tag show 22', 34' etc... which is confusing.
Please see the attached illustration.

Is there another command that I don’t know?
Thanks and have a great afternoon!
Ugljesa Janjic
ugljesa@janjicarch.com
ArchiCAD 25
Mac OS
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, that is the hard-coded behaviour of the Level Dimension. It cannot display the value relative to the Current Story.

You may try to use the new "Elevation Label 19" Label that was introduced in ARCHICAD 19.
It can display Top and Bottom Elevation values relative to the Current Story.
However, it does not have the marker the Level Elevation Tool has.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ugljesa Janjic
Newcomer
Great. Thanks, Laszlo!
This helps a lot. Very adjustable too.

Now, THAT would be something to put on the list of improvements for the Level Dimension tool. Wouldn't it? Just enable story recognition or something like that.

Thanks again. Saved me.

Ugljesa
Ugljesa Janjic
ugljesa@janjicarch.com
ArchiCAD 25
Mac OS
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are always welcome to make a wish. People can vote on it and if it get high enough support we can forward it to Graphisoft for their consideration.

Also, I have an idea. I don't know how familiar you are with GDL, but with a bit of GDL scripting I think it is possible to make this Elevation Label smarter by providing it with the ability to generate and display its own Marker from its script. Then it could totally replace the Level Dimension Tool for dimensioning Slab bottoms.
rgarand
Booster
You can use the Label Tool and select:

Ceiling Slab Elevation Label

Then adjust the label to your liking. You can tie the label to the Home story of the object being labeled or Project Zero.
ClgHgtLabel.PNG
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hm, that Label must be available in the USA version but not in the INT version because I don't see it in my ARCHICAD 19 INT.