Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Checking Dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello -

I have searched the help files and this forum looking for an easy way to check dimensions on a plan. In AutoCAD there is a tool to pick two points and it displays the dimension without placing it on the plan. Is there a way to do this in ArchiCAD? I have been using the dimension tool placing the dimension and then deleting it.

Cheers - Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Chris.

What you do is click on the origin button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, and then click on the point in your drawing from which you which to take a measurement. It leaves a little X on the screen.

Then drag you mouse to the point you want to measure to.

The coordinates box at the bottom of the screen will then give you the offset in the x and y axes, and the radial distance (r).

When you've finished, double click on the origin button to restore the origin to its original point.

Personally I find it as quick (and safer) to do what you're doing!
I would add:

The fastest way to move the origin is Opt+Shift (Alt+Shift on Windows, Linux, not sure ). This way is also a bit 'safer' since you have to be on a node for it to work. With the button method you can accidentally slip and end up close rather than on. To place the origin in empty space requires the button.

As for putting the origin back. There seem to be two types of users, those who move the origin a lot and keep the x&y button absolute (not pressed), and those who leave the origin alone and keep the x&y button relative (pressed). I am firmly in the first camp. By moving the origin, it's easy to, e.g., place a door 6" out of a corner. Yes, I know about the x3+ syntax, but I've never liked it, I prefer a visible, firm reference point, the origin. So I rarely put the origin back, I'm always moving it to the next place.

When you move the origin all the time, it becomes almost subconscious to check dims on the fly as Keith describes.

Another way to measure is to draw a line (or wall, anything linear). As you draw, the R box will give absolute length. For X&Y to be accurate with this method you need to be in relative mode (x&y button down). You don't need to actually finish the element, just start at one point, rest on the other, read the boxes, then cancel (esc). I use this when measuring to an angled element; the perpendicular cursor tells you when you are at the true minimum.

One more thing. Unless your working units and dimensioning units are set to the same tolerance, using a dim element to measure can give a misleading (rounded) value.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
i also use the line/cancel technique, but I do long for the Autocad way.
TomWaltz
Participant
I've been using the Opt-shift method, and have really come to love it, since you do not have to switch to the line command to access it.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I've been using the Opt-shift method, and have really come to love it, since you do not have to switch to the line command to access it.
Another benefit of the Opt-shift is that you can measure within a window or part of a plan that is owned by another teammate in a team worked file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to all of you who posted methods, in great detail -- extra thanks, and the pros and cons of each. I will start learning new ways of doing things.

Best regards - Chris