BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Cover fill on wall in multiple directions

Tibo_L-EDU
Contributor

Hi, 

I'm trying to put a cover fill on my slanted walls to show they are in roof material
(the reason they are walls in ArchiCAD is that they function more as an angled wall rather than as a roof. This also makes things like windows infinitely easier to place correctly).

From what I can tell the only way to do this is via graphic overrides, which would be fine except that the hatchings don't rotate with the geometry of the walls.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 11.01.54.png

 no hatch

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 11.03.04.png

 hatch through GO

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 11.03.35.png

 mockup of what I want

Is there another way to do this? Or do I need to do it manually with 2d elements?

Thanks

Edit: I'm not exactly sure if this is the right place to post this, if not, where should I post this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Interesting, you'd expect the wall to show the vectorial pattern.

As a possible workaround: you could overlay a view of a 3D document showing only the walls cut at the same height as your floorplan on the layout. That 3D document would basically act like a horizontal 'elevation'.

To create one, just open the floor plan, go to the project map, scroll to the 3D Documents, right click and pick "New 3D Document from Floor Plan".

With a layer combination you should be able to filter out your walls (hopefully).

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Interesting, you'd expect the wall to show the vectorial pattern.

As a possible workaround: you could overlay a view of a 3D document showing only the walls cut at the same height as your floorplan on the layout. That 3D document would basically act like a horizontal 'elevation'.

To create one, just open the floor plan, go to the project map, scroll to the 3D Documents, right click and pick "New 3D Document from Floor Plan".

With a layer combination you should be able to filter out your walls (hopefully).

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

That'll do the trick, thanks!

But as you said, not ideal and there should be a better way, but this will do fine 😉

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

No problem. I had a project with a curved roof before the Shell tool existed in Archicad and I used a similar trick: complex profile wall for curved roof and it also didn't show up with a nice cover fill.

Good to see that some 12 versions (and prob years) later, it's still a viable trick.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!