Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Create grid in section

Johann_P
Advocate

It seems I can't create or move a grid in section or elevation.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yes, this seems to be the case and I assume the reason is that Section/Elevation/3D representation of Grid Elements are generated from the model (just as in case of any other 3D element types). Just like you cannot place a Wall in Section, you cannot place a Grid Element either. You can only edit Grid Elements in Sections/Elevations.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thanks Laszlo,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "edit grid elements"

To follow your example by comparing walls & grids:

I can both "Drag" and "Drag a copy" for walls in sections, but I cannot seem do the same for Grids.

Occasionally it would be handy to move/drag a grid on section if a beam or wall moves on section, especially if the beam is difficult to see in plan views.

But from trying to to this today, it seems once a grid is placed in plan, its locked in place and if I want to move or copy the grid, I have to do that in plan.

Is this really the case?

Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro

Yeah unfortunately I discovered with you that it’s the case, I don’t know if this is good or bad to lock grid editing to plan.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Interesting, I assumed Grid Elements can be dragged in Sections without checking it. And indeed, it is not possible to drag them to another location even when groups are suspended.

This must be a limitation of the tool I guess.

So all I can suggest to you guys now is to make a wish for the functionality so we can forward it to Graphisoft for consideration.

If you make a wish, please post its link here.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thanks,

The link to the wish is here:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Grids-Create-edit-and-drag-a-copy-in-section-and-el...

Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro

@Laszlo Nagy  @Johann_P , but I don’t know if it’s helpful to be able to change the grid from any model view I think it’s better to be created and modified only in plan, if you see a strong need for that pls share this case.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11

As just one example:

When I need to move a beam on section, I would like the ability to move the grid with the beam while working in section.
After I have moved the beam and the grid I will be able to see on plan which walls/columns need to be altered also.

In Revit, you can create and move grids in any view.

You can also lock beams, walls, columns or other elements to the grid.

You can also lock the grid to any of the elements....

Thus when you move the grid all the elements move with the grid.

Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks @Johann_P , yeah I know about Revit and feel the importance of locking grid to elements cuz I had this situation after I finished the whole model as a contractor found the consultant making changes and moving grids which case I could overcome by marquee tool but was like a surgery.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11