BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Custom Fill Pattern Unit size shows wrong dimensions

alexliz23
Booster

I am trying to create a new Symbol Fill for the honeycomb pattern of insulation. I have drawn the pattern in 2D using Lines only, and my pattern XY size is (in mm) 43.4 x 50.0. I copy it onto my clipboard, then I create a new Symbol Fill and select the "Scale with Plan (Model Size)" option. At that point, I note that the greyed-out fields for "Pattern Unit size: [m]" fields show 1.000 for both X and Y.

I then press the Paste button. 

I see that the greyed-out fields switch to a seemingly-unrelated value; X becomes 5.2585, Y becomes 0.2759. These values are also the ones I see in the fields lower down, for "Strokes [m]", in the Horizontal and Vertical spacing fields.

I proceed to just those last two (editable) fields to the correct values for my pattern, ie 0.0434 and 0.05, at which point the pattern preview is corrected (I may need to zoom out a bit to see this).

Anyone can shed any light as to why the greyed-out values are wrong? Do you happen to know what the logic is there? Many thanks.

PS As a side-note, see the tiny red dots that are included in the fill when I place it, in red, at left? They are also visible within the Fills editor preview pane, but do not exist in my pattern so I have no idea why they show.

NEW SYMBOL FILL.png

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based 14.3.1 Sonoma

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
12 REPLIES 12

Thank you for posting your results here and I will remember that when I need to make a custom fill pattern I will not use a worksheet. I wonder if the project origin has any bearing on the results here ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

It was during testing exactly that, if the project origin had something to do with the error, that I discovered it was related to creating it in the Worksheet, not plan window. To confirm: no, project zero location seemed to be the 'cause' for this (although when I tried creating in a Detail window then project zero location does affect whether the pattern unit dimensions are correct or not. But I do get the infamous dots showing in the pattern, regardless.

Only by creating the fill in plan view do I get the correct dimensions and correct pattern (ie no dots).

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

@alexliz23 wrote:

Bottom line, as far as I can gather at this point: Archicad seems to struggle when I create the fill from anywhere other than the plan view. Does that sound like a bug or would you say it's by design?

Good find.

I can't say if it is a bug or not, as I have never tried creating a fill from a worksheet.

You would think copying lines from a plan, worksheet or detail would all be the same.

After all they are just lines.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!