Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Default Layer for Labels

How can I change the default layer for labels?

I would like the labels to automatically show up on the same layer as the objects they are attached to.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right click on the label and you get the label selection settings.

As far as making the default follow the layer of the objects.
The short answer is to use favorites to save the settings for your common objects.

For true associative layer naming - that gets into GDL territory - as there is only one label for all objects - regardless of whether you are referring to a toilet or an emergency exit sign, etc. BTW, I really like putting labels on a separate "Label" layer, such as an annotation layer, that way I can show a presentation plan without labels, or a CD with.

You might also search the forum for advice on creating custom labels.
labels.jpg
The labels are getting the layer of the object now. I am not sure why they were all ending up on the Annotation-Text layer.

It is only for the initial placement of the label I was concerned about. I do assign them a special layer after the initial placement and re-numbering.

It's a floor framing plan I am labeling. It was a pain to work with when all the labels kept going to the Annotation-Text layer. I would have to switch views to find it, then change the layer so it would show with the beams they were associated with.

I just did a few more and at least the labels are going to the same layer as the beams so I don't have to hunt them down. I am using ID as the label for renumbering with the Element ID Manager so I am not placing labels, I am just checking Label Beam box for some of the beams. The ones I need labeled for the engineer.

It would be convenient if we could set the layer we want the label to be on in the Tag's & Categories dialog box since we would very seldom want the labels of objects on the same layer. Why it was always placing the labels on the Annotation-Text layer I don't know. That is a default layer I an not using anyway.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Once you spend the time to set correct label/layer assignment(s), save each of those elements as a favorite. Once done - save the favorites as an external *.prf file, and load it into other projects.