Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Default order

Polar Bear
Booster

Hello,

When i select all and i do default order, some foundation walls are coming on top of the actual wall i am cutting across.  Why is that?  It's annoying as i have to resend it to bottom.

And can someone tell me one good useful usage of order setting ?  Revit doesn't have it and logic prevail...

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 13.22.11.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 13.24.46.png

Archicad 25 - 5010
Macbook pro 13" /Big sur 11.4 + External 4K 27"
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly

@Polar Bear wrote:

When i select all and i do default order, some foundation walls are coming on top of the actual wall i am cutting across.  Why is that?  It's annoying as i have to resend it to bottom.

All walls (this applies to each element type) will have the same level in the order stack - there is something like 14 levels from memory.

Walls drawn last will be on top of those drawn before.

However, building material strengths may also come into play if the walls are overlapping.

@Polar Bear wrote:

And can someone tell me one good useful usage of order setting ?

I never (hardly ever) use it.

I find when modelling the default order is pretty good 99% of the time.

Combined with layers and storeys I tend not to have any trouble.

Walls for example I would never stack on top of each other .

If I do, I place them in different layers so in plan I only see the one layer I want (except wile working on the model) - in sections and elevations I turn all the layers on so I see all of them.

Or I could use storeys to separate foundation walls, main walls, walls in the roof space - but I tend to use layers so I don't have all these intermediate non-floor storeys.

If you are playing around with display order and you get in a pickle, reset to the default order and send forwards/backwards again.

@Polar Bear wrote:

Revit doesn't have it and logic prevail...

If you are going to be working in Archicad - try to forget Revit.

They just don't work the same.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Polar Bear
Booster

Thanks for the valuable input.

- Never stack walls: then we end up by making lots of complexe profile?

- Rarely use display order: see the attached images, i learnt that we can't cut through slab if we want to see texture etc.  So i created a roof at lintel level.  Now i want to produce a drawing for above lintel, the roof hides the clerestory opening and the pillars...  So i need to play again with display order? Or hide the roof and create some false roof polyline on a separate layer etc.  Any short way around...

I just don't get this priority/ level logic of the software.  Why can't it be just like real plan life cutting???  

I am facing this situation in several buildings 😕

*** Comparing with a comparable product/ system  is just healthy for progress.  Everyone does it: health care systems designers, linguist, car designers etc.

Thanks!

image:

Below lintel plan

lintel lvl for accurate casting

above lintel: we can't see the clerestory etc

3d

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 10.42.13.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 10.42.17.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 10.42.26.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 10.42.31.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 10.42.35.png

     

Archicad 25 - 5010

I see you could get this floor plan and attached in earlier post :

31481651-E32B-41EE-8817-BADD211116C1.png

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
DGSketcher
Legend

Have a look at your Floor Plan Cut Plane settings they may help isolate overhead elements you don't want to see.

Unfortunately AC doesn't do Z order presentation in standard plans, I wish GS could sort it out as well. For some of my drawings I revert to using 3D Documents as these do apply the Z order, but many of AC's objects don't present the same e.g. door swings are missing, but I have found it saves a lot of frustration with things like roof framing plans.

Display order does have its uses beyond modelling e.g. annotations with masking can collide, especially dimensions and being able to move thing back & forward helps their presentation. As @Barry Kelly has indicated most of the time things work as expected, when they don't then order setting can be really helpful.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Polar Bear
Booster

Thanks.

But the other issue i found/ i think display order does not get saved.  so if you do it somewhere, it changes everywhere?

For me it's an absolute basic that the software sees element on the z axis.  Otherwise, the amount of workaround is way too high.  

thanks...

Archicad 25 - 5010

yes, but the slab projection is below the arch side wall!  illogical 🙂

Archicad 25 - 5010

Do you have only 1 story? If you have another story you can use ( Relink Home Storey ) to relink your slab to another storey while keeping its elevation value.

thanks!  I've figured some way around with layer etc.

Archicad 25 - 5010

Otherwise, the amount of workaround is way too high )

you know I read this sentence for the second or third time in this community and the truth is yes Archicad has many workarounds you should learn.