Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Detail Workflow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm trying to make my workflow more productive creating lists of details as objects, but it seems that this way is not as good as I wish, objects doesn't permit easy edition. So my question is if does exist some way of create a list of details to simple insert on drawing boards. For example, I'm finishing a board about sinks and bathrooms areas, it will be very helpfull if I just can drag and drop or insert some kinds of typical details, instead copying and pasting every time from older projects.
Thanks for attention!
14 REPLIES 14
Hello zesdras,

Do a selection
Go to Documentation/Annotation/Do or create a Patch
It will create a object into your library
Then you are able to put it where you want and apply symmetry for example
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Christophe, thanks for your answer!
I've tried create them as objects but unfortunately it can't be editable, I'm looking for a way that permit edition to modify some itens like its dimensions, materials etc.
Thank you!
M Cochran
Booster
You could save out each detail as a mod file. Then you can insert and bind that mod file into projects as needed.

For the firm I work for, we have one teamwork file that contains detail drawings that are often used. We can then just copy/paste from this file to the project we need to add the detail to.

We have tried the mod file method in past, and some people get frustrated that they have to open each file to see what the detail is. Having all the details in one file, you only have to open one file and you can look through all the details at once.
Margaret Cochran - BIM Manager,Technical Designer
ARCHICAD 7-23
HP ZBook 17, Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you! I'll try the mod file and the pln file with details, for sure it'll be more easy than copy and paste from older projects like Indiana Jones and the doom of files...
zesdras wrote:
unfortunately it can't be editable
Of course if you can edit the patch as a simple 2D drawing !
1 - Select the patch
2 - Open the patch as an object
3 - Modify the symbol as a 2D drawing
4 - Save and enjoy
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Having all your standard details in one file makes sense. You can group similar details on individual floors for example.
I think a better workflow is to have a single detail per worksheet, with one view per detail. (These views can be grouped in folders, too.) If you have your Detail.PLN and your Project.PLN open at the same time, you can use the Organizer to open the detail file on one side and the plan file on the other. Copying details can then be drag-and-drop from one to the other. (Make sure that Navigator previews have been saved in the detail file.) The only downside is that updating is slow unless both files are open at the same time.

Another method is to use PMKs with the Publisher. You create a new Publisher Set in the Detail.PLN for your specific project. You can drag-and-drop the Details into the Publisher Set and set the output to be PMKs and the folder that they are published to is in your individual project folder. You will get a bunch of PMK files in your project folder, which can then be multiple selected and dragged onto your Layout. If you want to edit a detail, you can create a Worksheet for that detail and either copy the original detail for editing, or explode the PMK in that worksheet for editing. A MOD file works, too. PMKs are nice, though, because they are very compact and don't slow down the project by much.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
zesdras wrote:
unfortunately it can't be editable
Of course if you can edit the patch as a simple 2D drawing !
1 - Select the patch
2 - Open the patch as an object
3 - Modify the symbol as a 2D drawing
4 - Save and enjoy
Thank you my friend! But I can't understand the code to apply the changes that I've desired. Maybe the better solution for my case - with zero knoledge in archicad programation - is the second pln file with full of details to copy and paste.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Richard. Thank you!
Yes I'm starting to think that the better solution for me is create a pln file called "details" or similar and organize it with the best rational method. I'll try and share with you later.
Thanks again!
Richard wrote:
Having all your standard details in one file makes sense. You can group similar details on individual floors for example.
I think a better workflow is to have a single detail per worksheet, with one view per detail. (These views can be grouped in folders, too.) If you have your Detail.PLN and your Project.PLN open at the same time, you can use the Organizer to open the detail file on one side and the plan file on the other. Copying details can then be drag-and-drop from one to the other. (Make sure that Navigator previews have been saved in the detail file.) The only downside is that updating is slow unless both files are open at the same time.

Another method is to use PMKs with the Publisher. You create a new Publisher Set in the Detail.PLN for your specific project. You can drag-and-drop the Details into the Publisher Set and set the output to be PMKs and the folder that they are published to is in your individual project folder. You will get a bunch of PMK files in your project folder, which can then be multiple selected and dragged onto your Layout. If you want to edit a detail, you can create a Worksheet for that detail and either copy the original detail for editing, or explode the PMK in that worksheet for editing. A MOD file works, too. PMKs are nice, though, because they are very compact and don't slow down the project by much.
zesdras wrote:
...I can't understand the code to apply the changes that I've desired...
It is not code but a simple two-dimensional drawing.
Have you tried to modify the 2D symbol of a Patch?
1-Select your Patch
2-Open it by File/Library and object/Open object
3-Modify the symbol 2D and save
4-Enjoy

It is necessary to verify that the patch is created from an unoriented point of view (without rotation of the design space)

Do you want a archicad screen movie ?
Christophe - FRANCE