Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Detail tool

Dontknow
Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm trying to create details in a cross section of a house.
But when I place markers and when I draw the details they don't show up in my cross section.
Shouldn't that happen automatically?

Greetings
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
7 REPLIES 7
Assuming that you're referring to standard 2D Detail Windows, no, these are not linked to the model in any way, other than the marker. (It's an interesting concept, though!) I suppose that you could always cut and paste back onto the originating view. It's often a difficult exercise to determine when to stop modeling in 3D and continue on in 2D.

BTW, please dd your version, etc. to your signature.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erich
Contributor
A typical work flow would be to create your section. Please detail markers in the section (on a layer that will show in the section). The markers can be set to create a new detail - in which case they will copy the geometry seen to a new detail for further elaboration; or can be placed as a linked marker - in which case you would link it to a detail you have already started.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Thank you Richard and Erich.
I've got this sample where there is a detail in the cross-section of the 3D-model and in the same cross-section in a worksheet and the detail itself.

Does this mean that when I've drawn the detail, I've to copy the detail into the cross-section of the 3d-model and the worksheet?
1.jpg
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I find the best way, is to create the detail marker in the section, then open the detail it creates, rename & save as a view, then if it is a detail I do not have in my detail library I group it and lock the layer, then draw over it in 2d, then move it away from the original.
If it is a standard detail, i just copy from detail library into the saved detail view, then use on the layout page, that detail is then referenced.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Correct me if I don't understand but normally your Cross Section would be at a 1:50 or 1/4" Scale and the idea of doing details is to create a larger scale of particular areas you can't see at the normal scale. If you copy your detail back into the Cross Section view it doesn't really gain you much as you won't be able to see it when you print it.

As previously noted it is not a live link. If you had to revise the detail during the course of the project you would have to remove and then re-paste your revised detail back into the Cross Section. If you had 100's of details this would cost a lot of time and probably errors if you miss some.

So my answer is that I would not copy the detail back into your cross sections. Leave the Cross Sections less detailed as the detail can't be distinguished and that is why you do separate details.

Cheers & Merry Christmas,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gerald, no I copy the pre-made library detail into the same detail view created by the detail tool at say 1:5, 1:10
No the view is not live and yes I do have lots of details, but each time I need a new one, I select the nearest I have, copy & modify then save it, as I like to make every detail specific to the job rather that generic.
Repetition will cut down on errors.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Was looking at another topic related to this, so thought what the heck... I'll chime in here, too..

I use the section tool to create live details. You'll still need to add bubbles to the sections and elevations, but you'll have 'live' markers / bubbles on the plan view, at least. When you open these sections, they'll be live from the model. I save the views (at appropriate scale), and place them on layouts just like any other section or elevation.

I make the building model super-accurate, so usually all I need to do in the section views is add flashings and membranes with 2D line work, and dimension them. I do the annotation in layout views (where I also manage keynotes and specifications). I usually use a 'wall section' type of format for the vertical detailing instead of 'boxed' details. I've just started doing this recently... Will need to put up a sample set to show it on my website when I get a chance. I use keynotes on the wall sections, too... So I can edit annotation / specifications easily and globally in master layouts.

For plan view details, I have layers set up to show bounding boxes, dimensioning, flashings and membranes. I have a layer combo that turns those on (and the wider scale layers off), and then save a plan view at the appropriate, larger, scale. That view gets placed on a layout, then I chop it up into pieces to fit the bounding boxes and arrange them on the layout. Sometimes, I'll treat the plan view details as a single, enlarged plan with break lines where appropriate to condense it onto a single layout... There'll be multiple references of the single plan view arranged on the layout with each cropped to show just the stuff inside my bounding boxes.

So, there's one method to have 100% live details, which has worked well for my use. I still use 2D details, but just for standard stuff like island vents, water heater restraints, attic furnaces, etc... mostly code compliance stuff. Having all-live details is great if you're up to creating a really tight model. I've always felt that was the great strength of BIM; having the capability of your model being the construction documents, and have it all update automatically.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Dave Sanders