Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension Line Spacing Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I have been trying to figure out an efficient way to place linear dimensions 1' away from a wall or object. Right now I have to place the dimension, drag it to the wall, then drag again, using shift R---> 1' to place it 1' away. Any suggestions on a better way to do this would be great. Also I'd like to note I am working in feet and fractional inches.

Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When defining the position of the Dimension Line, move your cursor to the Wall, then type "1-" (1, followed by the minus key) which should move the line 1 feet away from the Wall.
Then click to place it.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/interaction/on-screen-input-...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Carson27:

Since you are using feet & inches, you will need to type the "-" a second time to move the dimension line to the left (you would type the "+" to move it to the right). The first "-" is the separator between feet & inches, the second "-" is to input the direction of the offset.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like we are out of luck Carson27.

It would be handy to have a setting in the dimension tool that places the string a certain distance away from it's origin, defined by the user. We generally locate the dimension string 1' away from an exterior wall. Maybe after the double click to finish dimension locations you hover the cursor to get the proper geometry and just hit enter to place the string 1' away from the wall.

Do you guys think that this would be hard to achieve?

Doug