Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension parallel lines on an angle

Tom Krowka
Booster
How does one dimension distance between two parallel lines that run on an angle. Say the thickness of the the roof in elevation.

I place the first point at some arbitrary point along the slope of the roof. I want the second point to be perpendicular to that first point.

It appears guide lines don't work with dims or am I missing something. Or is there some other easy way to do it.

Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually place hotspots for something like that. But there is another way. You can align your dimension with an existing line when placing it. In your case you will need to draw a temporary line perpendicular to your angled lines (roof slope). Select the dimension tool, click on the lines you want to dimension (end points would be better than random points as they will remain associative), double click as if you are about to place the dimension, click on your temporary perpendicular line to align with that, then place your dimension. Delete your temporary line.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes I don't know of a way of doing it in one simple step.

You could start drawing a perpendicular line as Stuart suggests, then when it's perpendicular right click and convert it to a guide line. Then you could dimension to the intersection of the guide lines and the roof.

Alternatively, if you could dimension to the mid or end points, then you could insert the dimension string at any angle and rotate it afterwards.

Or you could temporarily rotate the grid to be parallel with the roof then dimension anywhere and snap to one of the dimension line options that will become available, as long as you have 'Relative to Rotated Grid' enabled in your Work Environment.

It's always been kinda strange how linear dimensions don't rubber band from the first temporary dimension point.

Cheers,
Link.
Tom Krowka
Booster
WAY too many steps to place a single point. There has to be a better way. Am going to fool around with guide lines until I figure it out.
Simple perpendicular to automatic guide line on the first line selected should do it, in theory.
Thanks.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Great! I look forward to your findings!

Cheers,
Link.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Place the first point somewhere on the line. Hit "Q" to activate guide lines while your hover over the line YOu should get a guide line on top of the line where you place the first node. Place cursor over the first dim node, hit "Q" again. You should get a secondary blue guide line which give geometric options and angles (set in work environment) to the first guideline, one of which is perpendicular. Place the second dim. point at that intersection.

Voila!

I think I remembered all the steps....but that's the basic method.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Beautiful! Nicely done!

It's a shame we can't skip that first guide line isn't it?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Odd. I was trying to do it the way I suggested but using a guideline instead of a temporary perpendicular line, and the guidelines were not recognised at all. Glad you found a workaround though. I would still suggest using the endpoints of lines rather than a random point, as random points only get the square non-associative dimension node.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Hmmmm. Good point.

(pun intended)
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com