Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimesions Scattering

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there, I'm having a problem with dimensioning in Archicad 10, I dimension a detail and the values of the dimensions wont align themselves to the dimension lines, the font places itself around the actual dimension string in a circular manner as if its following a path AROUND the dimension string rather than on the dimension string and if I try to move the values over the dimension line they wont move at all.

Any help is appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
*Prays to God to get an answer in the next 24 hours as this is due in monday ARGGHH*
I think it would be helpful to have a little more information. For example,

1. Are you using the latest update? If not, try updating and see if this helps.
2. Are you in a Detail window? Section Window? Plan window? What is the scale of the window as you're dimensioning?
3. You might try selecting the problem dimension and then open up the dimension dialog box and post a screen shot of that.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
I think it would be helpful to have a little more information. For example,

1. Are you using the latest update? If not, try updating and see if this helps.
2. Are you in a Detail window? Section Window? Plan window? What is the scale of the window as you're dimensioning?
3. You might try selecting the problem dimension and then open up the dimension dialog box and post a screen shot of that.
Hi Richard, Nice to meet you and thanks for the reply!

I am using Archicad 10 with the latest build.

I am in a detail window at 1:10 and I am drawing these from scratch rather than taking the detail via the detail method.

Now the weird thing is is that the screen shot I showed before has magically fixed itself, and all that happened in between then and now was I got some sleep and came back and it worked first go.
Ok this next screenshot is the next detail i'm working on , and its scattering dimensions like the previous one, I've played around with the settings to no avail, maybe you can glean something from this screenshot.

what is consistent is that its happened to all the details, but if I give it a bit of time and come back to it it seems to work.Ive also tried injecting properties of othe rdimensions into it to try and fix it but it doesnt do anything.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Does reverting your dimension text resolve it? Options> Project Preferences> Dimensions...

You students leave everything 'til the last hour don't you? Slim pickings on a Sunday too, most people are actually enjoying their day....

Cheers,
Link.
Dimension Preferences.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi link, and thanks for the reply and those instructions, I thought yeh that sounds exactly what my problem is, unfortunately that didnt work, seems that if I go and work in the garden for half an hour and comeback it works, cant work out what Im doing that is making it not work one minute, then it works the next? Hmmm......

Anyway if I have to , i'll just do em manually, otherwise Im going to have the best looking strawberry and tomato plants in Australia.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I worked it out, When I do it in the project map it mucks up, but when I do it in the VIEW MAP it works out fine, so it wasnt my strawberries.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sounds like a scale issue, but dimensions still shouldn't behave like that.

You must be berry relieved...

Cheers,
Link.
I think this is certainly a scale issue. It appears that your dimension text size is being placed as a "fixed" size, which will get screwed up when the scale is not correct. (Changing to a view using the Project Map doesn't change scale properly, whereas using the View Map does (as long as the scale is saved correctly), as you've discovered.

I think you may get better results using scalable dimension text, rather than fixed. (i.e. your dimension size will show up as "points" rather than "mm".) However, I spent a little time trying to see how to change my own dimension text from scaled to fixed, and couldn't find where to do this, so I don't know to go the other direction. The issue never came up for me before.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Richard wrote:
I think this is certainly a scale issue. It appears that your dimension text size is being placed as a "fixed" size, which will get screwed up when the scale is not correct. (Changing to a view using the Project Map doesn't change scale properly, whereas using the View Map does (as long as the scale is saved correctly), as you've discovered.
Hmmm...we have run across this as well (AC10) in detail windows -- couldn't tell you if it was in the Project Map or View Map, but will investigate if it happens again. Regardless of "scale", it sounds like a bug to me...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5