Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Display order of windows/doors within walls

I'm having an issue with getting a proper floor plan display for a situation with a wall containing two windows positioned as shown below.

thesleepofreason_0-1643536632383.png

The lower window's Uncut and Frame/Sash Cut Fill all have a display priority over the upper window but for some reason the Plan Symbol Fill doesn't. This means that I'm is stuck with an unwanted overhead line. I can't figure out if I'm missing some setting or if this is a limitation.

thesleepofreason_1-1643544847704.png

In order to achieve what I want, I need to split the wall into two elements and give the one containing the lower window a higher display priority. 

thesleepofreason_2-1643547263481.png

7 REPLIES 7
DGSketcher
Legend

@thesleepofreason The floor plan projection of the upper window is currently set "with overhead". If you change it to "Projected" and it sits above the cut plane then the hidden lines will disappear.

I'm guessing the different reveal depth and frame thickness aren't helping your presentation, unless they are deliberate?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

You can also set your show up to distance to be at zero stories and right below the window height. 

In the cutplane settings.

The overhead lines are deliberate - the objective is to only have them showing for the part of the wall that only has the upper window.

Given how the floor plan view  generally works this would intuitively be achieved by setting the elements fill pen to opaque and then adjust the display order. The problem is that there's no way to control the display order for windows and doors so we are stuck with the base value. And it seems to be such that the lower window's frame, sash and uncut fill has higher priority than the upper window. However, the lower window's plan symbol fill which is the opening area has a lower priority than the upper window.

That the plan symbol fill has a lower priority is somewhat logical but the result is that if the frame of the upper window protrudes the lower then you end up with a unwanted line segment.

thesleepofreason_1-1643559547935.png

So the question was if I've missed some way to control the display order in this situation. Splitting the wall or setting window parameters with regards to the floor plan display are rather brute.

If the frames are different then why is the line segment not desired? To me it's displayed as it should be.

@thesleepofreason wrote:

Given how the floor plan view  generally works this would intuitively be achieved by setting the elements fill pen to opaque and then adjust the display order. The problem is that there's no way to control the display order for windows and doors so we are stuck with the base value.

There is no display order available for doors and windows.

However you should find they are displayed in order of placement.

So maybe if you ALT+click the lower window to get all of its settings, then delete it and place it again, it may appear above the upper window that you already have there in the plan view.

I just tried and it worked - although I had no plan fill involved (I don't use your standard windows).

But if your frame sizes and reveal offsets for both windows match, then the lines should overlap exactly and you shouldn't notice the doubling of lines as it will be one frame exactly on top of the other.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Forgot about the placement order. But it seems that only controls the priority of uncut, frame and sash fills and not the plan symbol fill so the issue remains. 

Yes, if thickness and reveal match then there's less of a practical issue. However, these parameters should not be dictated or constrained with reference to the floor plan display.

It's not desired as the objective is to show the upper window only for the wall segment that only has the upper window. The reason is to, in plan, indicate that the wall segment is not without windows. For the wall segment with the lower window (sliding door) this is irrelevant.

The issue is not with how and where the upper window is displayed the issue is rather that the plan symbol fill of the lower window can't get a high enough display priority.