BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Drawing basic walls with dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I am fairly inexperienced on archicad but I used to be able to use it just fine now I have archicad 12 I can't work out a few things.

When drawing a basic wall it won't draw a straight lined wall without me having to hold shift, I cant find the 'polar' function or equivalent.

I can't draw anything with dimensions, when i click the wall button the black box with the dimensions and co ordinates etc doesn't appear and typing in numbers on the keyboard doesn't work to dimension the wall so I can't draw anything to scale.

Please could someone help me out as I have a project to complete!

thanks anyone

Vish
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
you can use the guides to draw constraining to vertical/ horizontal or at angles, circles etcetc much more flexible than the old 'p' toggle for parallel/perpendicular to.... (unless you're after the 'grid snap' in which case look under 'view' menu) If guides aren't showing go to your workspace (options menu i think) and turn them on. save your profile. if you reeeeeaaaly want the 'p' toggle, then u need to set the shortcut in your workspace (list commands alphabetically and scroll until u find it - remember to save ur profile)

the tracker is what you're after ( again turn on in ur workspace) and /or the old coordinates pallete under window/ palletes.

have a look at the manual with the what's new in 12... u might find it useful.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to confirm Xristinas advice, temporary guide lines are what you need! I think the shortcut is 'Q' or can be activated using the button as shown below. These will give you various temporary lines which the cursor can snap to as you go about drawing things, without having to hold down shift.
guide_lines1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
amazing thanks the both of u great help!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey, sorry to bring up an old thread but once again the small window that comes up when you draw a wall in archicad has dissapeared, the one where you type the dimensions and follows you round the screen.

Have searched everywhere for it and the shortcut Q doesn't bring it back as suggested above.

Please please reply my project hand in is now nxt week!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Vish,

It's the button second on the right of the one highlighted above! It's called the Tracker.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ah you life saver thanks

any quick tips on how to create a sort of overhanging domed roof over a quarter circle atrium space?

see picture!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Complex profiles would help you here. Try creating a curved profile representing a cross section through the roof, and then apply it to a curved wall.

See Dwights diagrams on these posts -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=157541
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=151557#151557

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi! This little window with "distance" and "angle" is gone! How can I call it back?
Please help.
Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's this button on the tool bar.
1.png
Learn and get certified!