Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Elevation levels overlapping. How to adjust them?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have this issue and have no idea how to fix it.

Elevation levels.png
16 REPLIES 16
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Story levels in your sections set by the sections settings are made by your Story Settings.
In your Story Settings you can turn them on or off individually.

What you could do is to make your text smaller or turn on off and make one of your own on a different location with the dimension tool.
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the same issue as well and don't want to note everything in each view - is there an auto stagger for the story level lines like with the grid elements?
Erika Epstein
Booster
Why do you have two stories so close together?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Because sometimes you have a building with numerous additions and different architectural story heights for the same "Level".

You could also have part of a building higher for the same level such as a mezzanine or penthouse

I think the auto stagger and display options of the stories would be a great add.
If you are trying to automatically show the right benchmarks for building sections, wall sections and elevations.

It would be nice to have an option similar to the grid tool display options for elevation & section and have an option to display the right story.
Erika wrote:
Why do you have two stories so close together?
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my case I'm showing T.O. Roof Structure and then T.O. Low and High Parapets so they overlap on 1/8" = 1'-0" drawings.

I can also see how it could be beneficial in instances where you'd want to show both T.O. Floor and a truss bearing height - but that may be something just to note in a section since it wouldn't be needed in elevations.
Erika Epstein
Booster
I asked the question because problems encountered are sometimes a result of a person not using the program correctly e.g. Jmings' example.

vgodzb,
In your example, split-level and multi-level can be difficult, to say the least. There have been many discussions over the years about how best to handle these kinds of situations. Having 2 stories so close in height can cause other difficulties and I couldn't help but wonder if that was the best overall solution.

Re your suggestion of story level markers having the ability to offset similar to the grid tool, make a wish!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm curious as to why you feel that I'm using ArchiCAD "incorrectly"? In my experience, if you have datum lines you are working with, floor levels and parapet heights for example, you set them as story heights so you can link walls, etc... to said datum. That way if they change, you don't have to go and change every element to the new height.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
jmings,

Have you used Vectorworks before using ARCHICAD?
The reason I am asking is because in my experience this is something Vectorworks offers: level you can define for design layers so that an element placed on the given layers will be located at the vertical level of that layer (with an optional offset value).
This is fine, it is just a different approach. However, this is not available in ARCHICAD so in ARCHICAD it is better to define only as many Stories as your building actually has and specify element heights relative to those (and avoid defining Story levels within the actual Stories of the building). If the value of these levels change you can rather easily select all elements at the level in the 3D Window and change their vertical value.
Different applications offer different capabilities.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
Jmings,
Story levels are just that, for defining a building's stories, floor to floor heights. Tops of parapets, walls etc are just that, not a separate story. You can use labels to call out these types of [level] dimensions.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System