Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Export Elevation to MOD - Elements going missing

Andre_Steynberg
Booster

Hi all

So having a bit of trouble with my MOD files.

My plan is to export the elevations as MOD files, place them as a hotlink on a Worksheet, mirror them and finally place on a Layout. (Standard house needs mirroring.)
The problem is when I place the Hotlink Module onto the worksheet, a few of the elements go missing (mainly roofs, beams and railing).
I've tried the above with different Elevations, Sections etc but the result is always the same.

I've checked the Layers, the Elevation's Horizontal + Vertical Cut Range, Model Appearance, went through all the Hotlink Options / Import Settings but can't find a solution or an obvious problem?

Has anyone ever experienced the above?

EDIT : Also opened the MOD in a clean AC File and result is as above.
EDIT EDIT : Ok so manually selecting the elements on the Elevation and saving as a Mod works?!

Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

MOD files do not contain elevation information.

They contain only the 3D model elements and floor plan annotation that you can then see in an elevation view in the file you hotlink into.

I have never tried saving a MOD file from an elevation view (if you can do that), but I assume it will only save the 3D elements that you select.

Usually you would save a MOD file from the floor plan or 3D view.

If your standard house needs mirroring, just save as a new file and mirror with an all storey (thick) marquee in plan.

You will then have to mirror any 2D annotation in sections and elevations.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

Unfortunately you can not simply mirror a drawing on a layout, otherwise that would be the simple option.

What I would do is fully document your standard plan, with all sections and elevations.

Then in a new (empty) file hotlink in the standard plan, but mirrored.

I say empty file, but I would use a copy of the standard plan and just delete the 3D model and plan annotation.

This will leave you with the sections, elevations and layouts which you can just adjust as necessary to suit the reverse hotlink you will bring in.

The sections and elevations will even have the 2D annotation in them already, you just need to mirror it and re-do any associated dimensions.

This will give you the full model (in reverse), but you will need to set up and document all of the sections and elevations again and re-create the layout.

But at least it is hotlinked, so if you amend the standard file, the reverse will update (just check the annotation).

Now you can place the 3 standard and 3 reversed plans into your site master file.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Barry Kelly

MOD files do not contain elevation information.

They contain only the 3D model elements and floor plan annotation that you can then see in an elevation view in the file you hotlink into.

I have never tried saving a MOD file from an elevation view (if you can do that), but I assume it will only save the 3D elements that you select.

Usually you would save a MOD file from the floor plan or 3D view.

If your standard house needs mirroring, just save as a new file and mirror with an all storey (thick) marquee in plan.

You will then have to mirror any 2D annotation in sections and elevations.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Andre_Steynberg
Booster

Hi Barry

thanks for the reply

I got the idea of saving an Elevation to MOD from one of the users on here, I'll see if I can find the post
And weirdly enough seems you can. Unfortunately the labels lose their association with the associated elements so all my specifications are out the window.

So we've got 6 units on the same site, 3 standard and 3 mirrored plans.
What I'm trying to do is dimension, label etc only one set of plans, elevations and then somehow flip that for the mirrored plans version. And keep the connection live.

Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27
Solution

Unfortunately you can not simply mirror a drawing on a layout, otherwise that would be the simple option.

What I would do is fully document your standard plan, with all sections and elevations.

Then in a new (empty) file hotlink in the standard plan, but mirrored.

I say empty file, but I would use a copy of the standard plan and just delete the 3D model and plan annotation.

This will leave you with the sections, elevations and layouts which you can just adjust as necessary to suit the reverse hotlink you will bring in.

The sections and elevations will even have the 2D annotation in them already, you just need to mirror it and re-do any associated dimensions.

This will give you the full model (in reverse), but you will need to set up and document all of the sections and elevations again and re-create the layout.

But at least it is hotlinked, so if you amend the standard file, the reverse will update (just check the annotation).

Now you can place the 3 standard and 3 reversed plans into your site master file.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Andre_Steynberg
Booster

Barry

Thank you for the detailed reply and method, definitely going to save some time with this!

Cheers

Andre

Andre Steynberg
Win 10 64-bit
AC27