Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Finish flooring as separate slab or part of composite floor?

paulmckean
Newcomer
Hi,

We are one year into AC and tuning our template and drafting standards. When in light-wood framing, what does everyone do for showing the finish flooring? Is it a separate thin (3/4") slab or just part of the floor composite. If it is a part of the floor composite, is there a way to have the walls override the floor in section when they overlap the 3/4" (to properly show the studs sitting on the subfloor, not the finish floor)? Thanks.
Archicad 20, windows.
6 REPLIES 6
alemanda
Advocate
Actually it depends on what kind of design, drawings and documentation you have to produce and provide.
Using two slabs (one for structural element) and one for the finishing will give you much more flexibility in the three aspects mentioned before.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
I always use separate slabs for finishes as it allows me to turn off finishes easily

Scott
Tim Ball
Expert
I always keep them separate so that you can change the finish for different rooms.

It can be useful to set up your composite during the early stages of a project with a generic finish with the slab located at the bottom of the finish component, then later you can delete that generic finish and replace with the actual, without the slab moving
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Depends on the construction method. Typical sand-lime brick + concrete slab buildings I have the cement finish as part of the composite without many issues. With clever use of building material priorities and properly assigning core/finish/other to layers my model looks fine.

I do not model the actual floor finish (carpet, tiles, wood flooring etc), generally this is being laid down after the contractor is finished and falls outside the scope of our on site surveyance of the construction process. My level dimensions are all based on the cement finish.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Jeff Griffin
Enthusiast
I also prefer to model the floor finish as separate slabs from the floor system composite for all of the same reasons listed above.

Since ceramic tile & slate floor finishes require stiffer floor framing below, I like to show these two finishes on floor framing plans so that structural engineers & floor system suppliers take this extra dead load into account when developing the design of the floor framing for minimal deflection in these areas (L/720). Graphic Overrides are used to give these particular floor finish slabs a simpler representation on floor framing plans only. On the architectural floor plans these finishes display as a grid matching the approximate size of the tile. On the structural framing plans, they display as a very light diagonal fill pattern, for legibility purposes. The GO's are also configured to change other (lighter) floor finishes, such as carpet, hardwood & vinyl to empty transparent fills so that they don't appear on the floor framing plans, since these floor finishes don't require such a high deflection criteria (L/480).
iMac 27 (2020) 3.8 GHz Core i7; 128 GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU (macOS Sonoma)
MacBook Pro M1 Max; 64 GB RAM; 32-Core GPU (macOS Ventura)
ArchiCAD 27/26/25 Full (latest builds). User since AC12 (2008).
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Just to add: the only 'downside' of having two slabs is having to model two slabs. The model will display fine in the various views.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5