Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Full CD's from Archicad.....

arg617
Contributor
Hi there,

I've been on this forum for a few years, but don't really post much. Every so often though I get fed up enough with AutoCAD to bring me back here and dream of having a more efficient package

I always end up with the same impression in my head, however. Reading through the posts gets me nowhere but doubting the ability of getting a full set of Construction Documents from Archicad (or other BIM packages). This might be due to the fact that most people don't post unless they are having a particular problem, but I still feel that I need to see drawings other than what the marketing department posts on the website.

I am wondering if some of you would be willing to post (or email me) some examples of Construction Documents created entirely within Archicad. I understand that there are privacy and confidentiality issues with this, but they can be something more in the style of what you would be willing to post on your own website if that is OK. Things like line weights, specific window jamb connections (from specific manufacturers), and especially custom, non-typical, construction details, are a substantial part of this consideration. Would details need to be created outside of the model, or are they modeled?? And if they are not modeled, what then is the advantage of BIM?

All the 'pros' I can think of can seem to overcome this one 'con'. I just don't want to switch from something I am very comfortable with to a program (any program) that might not be able to get a set of CD's out.

Thanks for your responses
10 REPLIES 10
Dennis Lee
Booster
I probably don't have the type of CD drawings you are looking for, so I can't help you with that, but basically, everything that you can do with AutoCAD, you can do with ArchiCAD. If you are drawing custom details in 2d in AutoCAD, you can do the same in ArchiCAD. You can even import them, so you don't have to draw them again.

Main advantage for me is designing / visualizing in 3d (main components, not details). Having automatic update of main drawings (floor plan, rcp, sections, elevations, etc. and all the cross referencing bubbles).
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Erich
Contributor
Gerald Hoffman posted an example set here:
archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=31677&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

There are also others running around if you look hard enough.

Personally, as far as producing CD's entirely from Archicad, I do it all day every day with very little 2D work. The exception is for the details themselves which are mostly 2D, but which also reference directly back to the model.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nirvana is a competly live set. One day...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you looking for residential or commercial construction drawings? I would be willing to email you a set of residential drawings if you send me your address. I work in ArchiCAD every day completing construction drawings for Home Builders here in Saskatoon. I come from a Autocad background & found the transition very easy. It took me only 5 days with the software to be proficient enough to produce drawings for my clients.
arg617
Contributor
I'm looking for both, residential and commercial. I've taken a look at some of the examples linked to, but I guess what's hard to tell is what was taken directly from the 3D model and what had to be drawn manually afterward.

I really wish there was a local user group where I can see the program in action........
Anonymous
Not applicable
arg617 wrote:
I'm looking for both, residential and commercial. I've taken a look at some of the examples linked to, but I guess what's hard to tell is what was taken directly from the 3D model and what had to be drawn manually afterward.

I really wish there was a local user group where I can see the program in action........
There's no user group in NYC? Or are you upstate? Perhaps you should get in touch with your dealer about starting one. Not that they would necessarily start or run it but they may be willing to help get it going.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
arg617 wrote:
what's hard to tell is what was taken directly from the 3D model and what had to be drawn manually afterward.
I've attached an image which shows a section with and without 2D annotation and other additions, e.g. masking fills. The top image is a plain section through the 3D model. A great deal can come directly from the model, but it requires a bit of planning and practice to become proficient.
Ralph Wessel BArch
arg617
Contributor
Thanks Ralph, that looks pretty good! How long did it take you to become proficient in Archicad? How do you clean up the model at areas where details are needed (like where a roof rafter connects to a wall)?

I'm within a borough of NYC, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a user group anywhere close (or even within the state it seems). This should be something relatively simple to organize......unless users just don't really exist here?