BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Getting floor plans to be in same location on different sheets

jh_tri12
Contributor

I'm still new here. How can you get each floor plan to show up in the same location on each sheet? I haven't had any success in searching for help so far.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

one method is to duplicate the first plan sheet and then link the drawing on the duplicate to the view for that level.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1

View solution in original post

Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

Probably the easiest one if you're new to this... In the Layout Book go to your new sheet, go to the Navigator and rt-click on a sheet with a placed plan, then select "Show as trace reference". You can then add your new plan on your new sheet and drag it to align with the trace reference.

There are other options involving dragging copies and relinking, but they are a bit more complex to explain.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution

one method is to duplicate the first plan sheet and then link the drawing on the duplicate to the view for that level.

Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

Probably the easiest one if you're new to this... In the Layout Book go to your new sheet, go to the Navigator and rt-click on a sheet with a placed plan, then select "Show as trace reference". You can then add your new plan on your new sheet and drag it to align with the trace reference.

There are other options involving dragging copies and relinking, but they are a bit more complex to explain.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Yes, this works well. Thank you!

Karl Ottenstein

The above (mostly) rely on each plan having points in common, so work in most cases.

Where each plan has no common wall corner/etc to align with the next... due to cantilevers, re-shaping, or whatever... the traditional method is to use the Hotspot tool - which places a visible-on-screen-only snappable point.  You can use one of the above methods, and - only if needed - place a hotspot somewhere on one plan view (in the Archicad layer) ... and then copy/paste it to every other story (the Hotspot tool is ancient... and does not have a 'display on all stories' function).  You can then use the snappable point to align stories to the same location on layouts using Trace Reference... or you can place a hotspot on your Master Layout and snap to that.

The use of the hotspot-per story also allows alignment of multiple plan views on a single layout.  For example, if the floor plan cut plane view cannot show an overhead mezzanine or a split-level plan as desired, generate two views... and snap them together on the layout.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

this works great as well, but remember to turn the trace reference off for each sheet you align this way. The trace reference will stay active and print along with the plan on that sheet.

Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1

I think that is dependent on your print settings @Aaron Bourgoin . I have never had that happen probably because the required print setting is off by default in my setup, but still one to watch and it can be useful on occasion. 

Learn and get certified!