BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Graphic Override : Line Hierarchy walls and openings (doors & windows)

arjun
Contributor

Hi, 

I've been using ArchiCAD for quite a while now. I am family with drawing in 2D, but I am currently stuck on graphic override. I am using it to improve the quality of my lines just like in AutoCAD with the CTB, for printing/plotting as an architect student. I am trying to set up a template. 

The problem is the following. I have created rules for cut elements such as walls and rules for openings such as doors and windows but even if one is thicker than the other they end up being on the same hierarchy (attached screenshot shows issue). What can I do to establish a line hierarchy between the walls and openings?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

archicad problem.PNG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

You can use Find and Select to select all the elements according to the selection filters you set up. If you cmd+A (ctrl+A on a PC) with the window or door tool selected all of the windows or doors will be selected on the floor plan. If you view the project in 3D and select all it will select them across the entire project instead of the storey you are on. 

The UKI template has the Pens set up with a descriptor to use a specific pen for a specific purpose so if yours is the same then you can change the Pen in the Pen Set and everything that uses that pen will change. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Do you not use pen sets to determine the line wights and colour of each element? You can define different pen sets for different views and different pens for all elements of the projects. Using Graphic Overrides for this is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Do you mean that it's easier and more efficient to work with pen & styles (model view) and apply it to openings or wall settings like this (attached screenshot) rather than using graphic override? 

Why and when do we use graphic override then, for hatches?

archicad door settings.PNG

That's right. Graphic overrides are more used to display graphical information based on rules from properties. As an example, each element can be assigned a fire resistance rating be it 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. We use graphic overrides to generate our Fire Strategy Plans so that all fire resisting construction is overridden on those plans to display the defined fill types and colours associated to the property of either 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes. We also use them for demolition plans. on all of our standard general arrangement drawings and other layouts the demolition appears grey dashed as per the renovation filters but on the specific demolition plans, everything that is identified to be demolished is automatically changed to be red dashed along with the associated notes which change to red. We also have floor finishes plans where on all working drawings the zones appear with a transparent cover fill. A property is applied to the zone which tells it which type of floor covering it has. We then have. series of graphic override rules that change the cover fill pattern of the zone and the colour to match a predefined key which then displays the type of floor finish.

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Have a read through this, it's really helpful.

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F050_Views...

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

All right, thank you very much !

I was wondering, is there a way to speed up the process of changing windows/doors/walls pen colour or is the manual approach of selecting all doors (for example) and changing the pen colour in Plan/Section parameters (attached screenshot) the only way to do so ?

archicad door parameters.PNG

If you want the colour to affect every view, then change it in the object.

Use the GOs to override particular views.

That way you can have 3 plan views that all look different because they have different GOs, if that is what you want to do.

But remember a GO will override the colour of the entire element.

You can't have a GO change just the door leaf colour, it will change the entire door object - door leaf, frame, swing lines, etc.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

You can use Find and Select to select all the elements according to the selection filters you set up. If you cmd+A (ctrl+A on a PC) with the window or door tool selected all of the windows or doors will be selected on the floor plan. If you view the project in 3D and select all it will select them across the entire project instead of the storey you are on. 

The UKI template has the Pens set up with a descriptor to use a specific pen for a specific purpose so if yours is the same then you can change the Pen in the Pen Set and everything that uses that pen will change. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Ok thank you very much !

Ok, but I actually don't know GOs. What is that ?

Learn and get certified!