Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphical overwrite - no control over individual material in walls?

cs_ryl
Booster

Hi All,

I want to know if it's possible to use Graphical Overwrite to highlight individual wall layers? See example below:

I have a composite wall with Brick+Cavity+Stud+Interior lining. On a plan that's Showing Entire Model, I would like to be able to highlight Cavity (under the Air Material) so that it can have its own fill and line type/weight/colour, and subsequently controlling the appearance of each individual wall buildup layer in the same way. 

I'm able to create a rule that picks up Wall+Material Name, but it highlights the entire wall, instead of only the Cavity layer. 

cs_ryl_0-1652852835888.png

cs_ryl_1-1652853319971.png

Overwrite rules for testing purpose - I noticed that Materials can only be selected as "Contain/Doesn't Contain", instead of "Is" - which might be why it's selecting the whole thing? 

cs_ryl_2-1652853650719.png

I am looking for something that allows for selection of individual material, or building composite layer. Any help would be appreciated! 

AC23 AUSTRALIA
MacBook Pro M1 2020 8GB Memory | macOS Monterey 12.3.1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Barry Kelly

No, Graphical Overrides will override the entire element, even if only one part of it matches the criteria that you want to override.

There are quite a few wishes for this.

Here is one wish that has links to a few others as well.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Graphics-Override-Components/m-p/304619

Feel free to like any or all of them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I’m not sure you can do that. I know it doesn’t work with doors as the Graphic Overrides cannot search sub element materials. I’ve been trying to set one up that will file an opaque glass material in a door leaf and override it but it doesn’t work because it’s not possible to identify the sub element materials. I suspect this is the same for composites. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Turit
Booster

Graphic override does not work. The only way to highlight this is to get a pen number for the cavity that you don't use elsewhere. Then you can change the color with another set of pens.
For example:

szig_vonala.JPG

Thanks Lee!

AC23 AUSTRALIA

Thanks Barry! 

By skin type is definitely needed! 

I will go through the links and give likes! 

AC23 AUSTRALIA

oh @Turit can you please elaborate further here? I can't seem to figure out what you did there to change the colour - is it setup under a completely new pen set? 

AC23 AUSTRALIA

Start a new conversation!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!