Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Grid visibility control

Johann_P
Advocate
I would like to change the location of the grid header locations.

On 1st storey, the building is larger and the grids extends to past the external walls.
On 2nd storey, the building is smaller and I only want to place the relevant portion of the plan on the sheet.

How do I move the grid heads to show on both the storeys at the desired locations?

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
8 REPLIES 8
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
There are two possible work arounds:

1. Place the view twice on layout, adjust the size of the placed views and stitch it together to achieve the desired set up.

2. show the grid elements on select floors and place a second set of grid elements on the smaller floor plan.

Both aren't ideal, obviously, but you can't stretch grid elements on select stories only, sadly.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Eli Chiasson
Booster
Yes, unfortunately there isn't the ability to have the grids truncate at the bounds of a View box, like Revit does.

For years now we've used both the solutions you make Erwin, separate Views for Grid bubbles and/or multiple Grid Systems for floors with vastly different floor plates (in our office, podiums that change to towers in multi-unit residential).
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
http://www.dexel.ca
AC19-23 USA+MEP • i7-7700 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Professional
Podolsky
Ace
I think technically it is possible, because Grid Tool is GDL object - so potentially it is possible to modify the script, that element would act as described.
The problem with Grid tool GDL object - that Add-On is using only one GDL object and user cannot choose different object from the library, as it works with markers. To rewrite Grid tool it is necessary to replace the file, that located in GRAPHISOFT/ARCHICAD 24/BuiltInLibraryParts.lcf
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The same problem exists with section lines (and if you would want to show them elevation lines).

Having them be stretchy would solve problems, but also cause problems if you forgot they were stretched and don't check you output before sending it off.

Still I think having the option would be nice and perhaps give them a different colour only in the project views and not on layout to signify they were stretched. We're getting into wish territory now obviously
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Johann_P
Advocate
Revit solves this with the ability to change an object (grid or section line) from a 3D object to a 2D object.

Dragging the 3D affects all views, but if you switch the same line/grid to 2D the line can be stretched at will without affecting any other views.

A very handy function......
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
The same problem exists with section lines (and if you would want to show them elevation lines).

Not a problem with section and elevation lines.
You just create a new one as a 'Linked' marker.
You then reference this to the original one and they can be placed in any layer or storey and they can be stretched (or re-positioned) without affecting the original.
But when opened, they still open the original view.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Hey Barry, that's true, but you have a section line that is unlinked in the sense that if you move the original, that second one you place will not move with it. In that way it is the same work around as having different size grid lines

I think it is slightly worse, since as I recall you can't really link section lines to specific stories, the way you can with grid lines.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
Hey Barry, that's true, but you have a section line that is unlinked in the sense that if you move the original, that second one you place will not move with it. In that way it is the same work around as having different size grid lines

I think it is slightly worse, since as I recall you can't really link section lines to specific stories, the way you can with grid lines.

Yes they will move independently.
But easy to spot and fix with a trace reference.

The source and linked markers can be set to show on a particular storey only.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11