Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Gridlines and Dimensions

As we all know gridlines can show on all storeys. Is there a way to have the dimensions associated with the gridlines show on all stories?
Thomas Allan Palmer
Architect AIBC MRAIC
ArchiCAD 24 MacBook Pro
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Post moved to a more appropriate section of the forum.

Annotation doesn't have the option to show on all stories so you will need to re-dimension on each one.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
the only way to do this is to re-create the grid scheme(s) in place with the "Grid System" add-on from the Design Menu.

This is definitely something ARCHICAD could do better: it seems like the "system" hasn't been updated since it was first conceived.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I only dimension the grid on a ‘grid setout plan’ from which a surveyor will then setout the site / building grids on site and from this grid construction elements will then be setout / dimensioned from.
I would only dimension the grid on a plan if I did not have a setout plan and then I would still only dimension it on the ground floor plan.
Scott
Bruce
Expert
One of the work-arounds I use is to place hotspots on the grids, then dimension to the hotspots.

The benefit is that I can then select all hotspots and dimensions, and copy them up the stories without tediously re-dimensioning on every storey. If a grid changes, use the thick marquee to update.

The downside is that the dimensions aren't associated with the grid itself.

Another way is to create the grids in a separate file and module them in...but that comes with its own set of complications.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Yet another workaround is to use a dimension object, giving you the option to show them on all stories. Need a change? Do it once.

You can use this object from manuBIM (the first two on the search result). Never got around to find the time to code the dimension options into the polyline script.

Best regards.