Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Horizontal section at a given height. How?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

I would appreciate if somebody could tell me if there is any method of obtaining... _horizontal_ section views. Can an Archicad model be sliced horizontally, just like with the section/elevation tool, but horizontally?

3D cutting planes do it nicely, but I need it for 2D documentation.

I tried to insert an extra story at given height, but it turned out to be empty (unpopulated).
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
There might be some creative workarounds to fake it, but there is no way out of the box.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
willa.ytong wrote:
3D cutting planes do it nicely, but I need it for 2D documentation.
3D views are a really valuable aspect of documentation created with AC...so don't be afraid to use them, even if they are (unfortunately) unlinked once annotated.

With the 3D window view that you want - which I presume is a top-down axo view, internal engine, hidden line mode and appropriate cutting plane:

Select the marquee tool, then select the 'flat marquee' method (simple rectangle).

Marquee the view, issue Copy command/shortcut: you'll get a dialog asking if you want a scaled image, etc...

Open an independent Worksheet (AC11) or Detail (AC9 or 10) and Paste the content there. It should be to scale. Annotate as desired. Just have to make a note to yourself to remember to copy/paste again if the model changes since this is not 'live'.

Same process works nicely for axo views that correspond to building sections - to provide a useful small 3D 'key' drawing adjacent to sections in your document set that helps clients and builders really understand where the section cut is...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jere
Expert
Karl wrote:
Same process works nicely for axo views that correspond to building sections - to provide a useful small 3D 'key' drawing adjacent to sections in your document set that helps clients and builders really understand where the section cut is...

Cheers,
Karl
Interesting concept. I'll have to give that a try!
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Liqiang Lu
Contributor

yes,we need a horizontal cutting tool !

hi sir !may I have your attention please,15 years now!we need a horizontal cutting tool similar to the vertical or section tool!