Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How long does it take to complete construction documents?

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD users please let us know how long it takes to complete construction documents for a "ground-up" building, preferably commercial, 3,000-7,000 square feet (or equivalent).

Comments and qualifications welcome, but don't assume any unusual conditions, clients, etc. Just typical scenario, with MEP & Structural engineers involved.

Cheers,
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Hey Eric,

Long time since we've heard from you.

Rather than qualify, I think it would be better if you gave a more precise specification - otherwise the numbers will be all over the chart and won't mean much.

For example, a tilt-up warehouse with small office area and restrooms, or a firehouse with similar plus meeting space would be complete in a day. I think you had more than that in mind? 🙂

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Karl,

I was trying to avoid being too specific for fear that no one would answer. 😉

In my experience it takes a week or two to get backgrounds prepared for the engineers (dimensioned floor plan, rcp, roof plan, bldg sections, site plan). We continue to work on the remainder while the engineers begin. The engineers take 3 weeks to complete 90%. Then we all print, review, coordinate for a week followed by another week for corrections ending in the 100% complete set of documents. That's 7 weeks in a best case scenario, but normally there will be owner changes or other roadblocks that would increase the schedule.

Anyway, that is for a 5,000 sf branch bank like we might normally do.

Slab on grade w/ masonry veneer exterior walls
Lobby space
3-5 offices + conference room
Teller & employee work areas
Break room
2 Restrooms
Storage room/Janitor closet
Tel/LAN room
Elec room
HVAC within the plenum (no mech room)
Vault