Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to Sign Layouts in ArchiCAD 17

DennisG
Participant
Got a simple(?) one for you;

I'm working in the latest version of ArchiCAD 17 - just updated yesterday.

I've got a Wacom tablet with pen, and am ready to issue permit drawings. The only thing standing in the way of obtaining that permit is a signature on each of the drawings.

I'm trying to sign using the pen in the Spline tool, and am seeing some pretty wild results.

Is there a way I can simply sign the drawings while in ArchiCAD, or do I have to create a JPG or PDF signature file, import it and paste it where I want it, etc.? The problem with this approach is that the pasted file blocks the signature line and stamp over which it is pasted - no luck with bringing one entity forward, pushing another one back, etc.

Much thanks for your enlightened input.

Dennis Glynn AIA
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ArchiCAD-64 23 3003 USA FULL
x64 Clone PC w/Intel(R) Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you use a JPG file, bring it in with the Drawing tool (Link drawing to "an external source") and you can check the Transparent Background button. Any white areas will disappear.
DennisG
Participant
Thanks for your reply, Stuart.

Since posting, I've been experimenting in MS Paint and found I can easily make signatures there, save them out as GIFs, and paste them where I want them in the Layout.

But still, it'd be so much simpler to just sign the layout drawings in ArchiCAD.

Still no tools that take advantage of this millennium's tech advances?

Dennis
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
x64 Clone PC w/Intel(R) Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC
DennisG
Participant
Follow-up:

I saved out signatures in GIF format, pasting 5 different versions into the layouts.

After printing to PDF, I discovered that none of the signatures would print!

Is there a hidden toggle switch somewhere deep in the bowels of ArchiCAD that prevents GIF files from printing in layouts, even when visible in layout view?

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC
Anonymous
Not applicable
A rather interesting request, I believe most jurisdictions require a "wet" signature, I have never seen any copies or prints allowed otherwise the document is not legally binding...
DennisG
Participant
xacto wrote:
A rather interesting request, I believe most jurisdictions require a "wet" signature, I have never seen any copies or prints allowed otherwise the document is not legally binding...
My jurisdiction no longer requires wet signatures on permit drawings. I recently completed the sale of a house - all signatures were executed online; only wet signatures were the closing docs.

But we digress - the topic of discussion is whether or not GIF image files will print from a Layout.

Thanks,

Dennis
Dennis Glynn AIA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NVIDIA Quadro K620
16.00 GB RAM
Win 10 Pro x64 based PC
Anonymous
Not applicable
GIF is a proprietary legacy file format (anybody remember compuserve bulletin boards and 9600baud modems) limited to 8 bits 256 colours, the file format is was designed for transmission of small images over slow networks nod as such is not really suitable for reproduction.

If I were you I would use jpeg or tiff

Regards,
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
on the topic of gifs,....check this out!
https://flipboard.com/section/gif-me-a-break-bcG3Lj?utm_source=email&utm_medium=wm15&utm_campaign=ma...

on the topic of using a wacom to sign drawings - I'm more interested in how you find working in ArchiCAD with one?