Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

How to unlink a Master imported from another file?

BelindaM
Contributor

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help! I imported Masters into my Layout Book from another file, instead of just creating new masters and copy-pasting from the other project.

Now when I open drawings using those Masters, it's 'updating', and sometimes even opening the old file I imported from, when I open the new layouts using said masters.

The old file is coming up as 'linked' to this new project. How can I unlink this old project while keeping the masters I still need?

Using Archi20

Thanks! Belinda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

It is not the Master that is linking - that is now a part of your new file.

It is the drawings on that master that are linking to the old file still (external link).

Open the Drawing Manager, look for any file that does not have an "Internal" path.

If it is 'Placed To' a master layout, you can then right click it and choose to link to an internal view - assuming you have an equivalent internal view to match.

Or you can open the Master layout and select any drawing on it, right click it and link internally.

Or if you can just delete the drawings and add another new internal view (drawing) in its place.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Barry Kelly

It is not the Master that is linking - that is now a part of your new file.

It is the drawings on that master that are linking to the old file still (external link).

Open the Drawing Manager, look for any file that does not have an "Internal" path.

If it is 'Placed To' a master layout, you can then right click it and choose to link to an internal view - assuming you have an equivalent internal view to match.

Or you can open the Master layout and select any drawing on it, right click it and link internally.

Or if you can just delete the drawings and add another new internal view (drawing) in its place.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
BelindaM
Contributor

Thank you so much, this was incredibly helpful!

hey Barry,

i just found this discussion and its similar to an issue i have. 

in my case i browsed for a project just for the purpose of copying the layout book.

i ended up with a file that is linked to my project and its kind of annoying.

is there a way to unlink the project ? i mean if there is an option to link there should be an option to unlink. 

The other file is not linked, but the drawings you brought across with the layouts will still be linking to the original file.

You can select each drawing in the layout list of the navigator, right click and choose 'Link Drawing to...' and then look for an 'internal' link to a view of your current file.

Or you can do the same in the Drawing Manager.

You can also right click in the Drawing Manager and 'Break Link' - but you will still need to link to an internal view, so I don't see the value in this.

Or now you have the layout pages set up, you can just delete all of the drawings and drag new views on to them - this will mean you don't have to re-link, but may be longer as you have to arrange and crop the frames.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

understood. that was helpful thank you.

i think it would take longer to do that instead of creating the layout book to match what i had before.