Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Label reading the lenght of a line/polyline

Djordje
Ace

Hi guys! How's 2022?

A discussion elsewhere prompted me to check if there is a label reading the lenght of a line or a polyline. And it looks like it is not, and on top of that, you cannot ID or label a line or polyline.

Yes, there is a Travel Distance object that can be nicely reshaped and that shows its length in Imperial and metric, and can be tweaked... but that is thanks to the good will of the author of the Travel Distance object. There is also an addon at http://simpleaddon.com/Eng/td_product.html

So... more properties for the 2D elements? Lines, polylines, fills? Hm?

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
12 REPLIES 12
Tim Ball
Expert

I have used morphs as lines which you can then read the length from. Useful for say travel distances in fire engineering diagrams 

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
runxel
Legend

In one of the videos of KUBUS (dutch reseller) I once saw that they suggested using a railing for that. They used it for showing the direction and length of escape paths.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

That would work too, but for me the morph is simpler. You can also add properties to a morph

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5

Well, properties can also be added to a railing.

Morphlines are indeed a nice and somewhat easy option.

I think the greatest advantage of the railing is the fact that you can alter its look more flexible, since its parts are GDL. This opens up A LOT of possibilites....

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

What parameter/property do you use to read the length of the morph line? I can't find any that would show me that in autotext.

rm
Expert

Or....GS could provide a polyline tool that will calculate segment lengths and overall lengths.  Colleagues in the US doing commercial work need to calculate egress path lengths for most building permit submittals, along with building perimeters.  I believe AutoDesk has provided this capability within their software.  I'm by no stretch a software programmer, but it seems this would be low hanging fruit to add into Archicad - hopefully  in AC26.

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

I’ve often thought the railing tool could be seen as a 3D polyline. I use the railing tool for instance to create drainage runs.

Maybe a cut down railing tool with just one element would be a useful addition to our toolkit

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
MIXD
Contributor

As you mention..

This free product  illustrates the shortcoming of GS's Archicad development priorities ..:

http://simpleaddon.com/Eng/td_product.html

Hope it works..but i don't like to download and install in my add on folder from so many insecure sources...

Andries MIXD
MacBook pro 16 inch. 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 Gb, Archicad 26-27

Oh.. and I see now that it is not for free...

Andries MIXD
MacBook pro 16 inch. 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 Gb, Archicad 26-27