Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Labelling Surfaces of Complex Profiles

JCCARLOS91
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is there a way to label the outside and inside faces of a wall that is a complex profile? I would assume this should be a basic thing that Archicad does but I am stomped. Surface Label only shows " -- " whenever I try to label outside or inside face.

Help!

John Carlos
AC25 | iMac 2019
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

Complex profile walls can be any shape (not just a vertical inner/outer skin) and they can have many different surface stacked on top of each other even if they are a vertical inner/outer skin.

So they don't actually have an inner or outer skin that you can label as a regular composite wall does.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

This 'problem' along with component schedules (grabbing things like 'skin' thickness), really push us to use complex profiles sparingly. You can basically draft up something that is little or even nothing more than a composite, but lose a lot of functionality.

Priority based connections can solve a lot of connections, without having to actually use a complex profile (sometimes).

Just some food for thought.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

But if you use the autotext label instead of the surface label, you can get some info.

You can list 'Surfaces all' and if you override the surfaces you can list the 'inside/outside face surface' - but that will then be the same for both when you override, so defeats the purpose.

BarryKelly_0-1671007903107.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Palawat
Advocate

Just a bit more info. to add, the Floor Plan Cut Plane plays significant role for complex profile wall. On floor plan, a label (which is GDL) can only get the info. at the cut level of the Floor Plan Cut Plane. If the complex profile wall was't cut by the cut plane (it is above or below), then there's no data available for label.

There is a demo version of a label that can display surfaces for complex profile wall you might be interested in;

https://www.indigofigs.com/symbol-label-suit/

Archicad 26, Windows 10, Corei7 3.4 GHz, 16 GB Ram.
https://www.indigofigs.com
https://www.facebook.com/indigofigs

@Palawat wrote:

Just a bit more info. to add, the Floor Plan Cut Plane plays significant role for complex profile wall.

Yes, I always forget about this.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27