Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Landing level in plan

Leire Bilbao
Booster
I need to put the level of the stair landings in the plans. I would like the level tool to pick up landings and steps of the stairs.
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is already possible to do.
Select the Level Dimension Tool and hover your cursor over the Landing you want to dimension. The pre-selection highlight will indicate that the whole Stair will be dimensioned. This is not what you need, so press the TAB key to cycle through the possible items to be dimensioned, in this case, it will cycle between the Stair and the Tread, as indicated by the Info Tag. Click to place the dimension when the Tread is highlighted with the Pre-selection Highlight.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
This is already possible to do.

I know it is possible because I have done it before.
But try as I might right now, nothing is happening - all dimensions are 0.

I know you don't need to use gravity (there is not an option for stairs anyway).
I have the grid fill on (just in case it needed that), but the stair does not pre-select when I hover over it.

I have obviously turned something off, but I have no idea what it is.
I have tried a default GS template as well and no joy there either.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe "Quick Selection" mode is turned off for the Arrow Tool?
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
Maybe "Quick Selection" mode is turned off for the Arrow Tool?

Of course - I always have this turned off by default.
I missed that because the level dimension still works for slabs/roofs even when it is turned off.

Thanks Laszlo.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have similar issues with placing level dimensions on stair landings.
My problem is two-fold:
1. I can only [TAB] to the Landing Finish component of the stair, so I can't place a dimension on the Landing Structure
2. I can't [TAB] to any stair components when I have two overlapping stairs.
The reason for the overlapping stairs is that I have stairs with different geometries on the floors above each other which I want to display correctly. The floor plan symbol is set up so that the upper stair is only visible below the break line while the stair below is only visible above the break line. The symbols do not overlap but the actual geometry does. This way [TAB] only cycles between the two stairs and not the sub-components.

I expect that the second problem is due to program limitations so I have to hide one of the stairs while dimensioning. I would appreciate suggestions on the first one though...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
1. Unfortunately, you cannot Dimension the Stair Structure this way, this capability has not yet been implemented, hopefully it will be in the future.

2. I am trying to reproduce this but it works for me. In the below animated GIF you can see that I have two Stairs, overlapping, one visible only below the Break Line, the other visible only above the Break Line, but pressing TAB does cycle through the first Stair, second Stair, Tread of first Stair, Tread of second Stair.
You Stairs may be overlapping differently. Could you post some screenshots about its 2D and 3D?

(For some reason the animated GIF will play only if you click on it.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, it seems to work just fine for me too now. I don't know what was the issue.
cheers