Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Level Dimension Origin in Floor Plan v.19

Tincan561
Contributor
I would like to set the origin of a Level Dimension in a floor plan to Sea Level instead of Project Zero.

The online guides state:

The origin from which Level Dimension values are calculated is set in Level Dimension Tool Settings.

The online v.18 guide differs from the v.19 guide, in which the former seems to have a parameter to set the origin. I have looked in project preferences and tried to selecting dimensions along with the level dimensions, but have been unsuccessful.

How do I set the origin of a Level Dimension in a floor plan with v.19?

Thank you.

Level Dimension.png
Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3
16 REPLIES 16
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In ARCHICAD 19 you are looking at the Level Dimension Settings Dialog. That tool dimensions levels in Floor Plan.
In ARCHICAD 18 you are looking at the Linear Dimension Dialog, with the Elevation Dimension method active. That tool dimensions levels in Sections.
So nothing changed you are just not looking at the same thing in the two versions.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Tincan561 wrote:
I would like to set the origin of a Level Dimension in a floor plan to Sea Level instead of Project Zero.
How do I set the origin of a Level Dimension in a floor plan with v.19?
After placing the Level Dimension, select the text of the dimension(s) (multiple texts can be selected at once), and change the text value from Measured Value to Custom Text, then select the to Sea Level option.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Tincan561
Contributor
Thank you, that answers my question perfectly.
I saw the radio button for "Measured Value to Project Zero" yesterday, but toggling it had no effect.

I never selected "Insert Autotext" because it aligned with the "Custom Text" parameter and in my mind I was not seeking to change the text just the associated level.

Thank you!
Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, I did not remember that trick. Good that David did.
Started wondering why this option is not in the Level Dimension Dialog in the first place, like in case of the Linear Dimension Tool.

Anyway, this topic caused me to create a related wish: the ability to select Dimension Texts using Find & Select:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=50581

Currently you have to select all Dimension Texts one by one. This wish would greatly speed up their selection.
sinceV6
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
Currently you have to select all Dimension Texts one by one. This wish would greatly speed up their selection.
As the sales pitch once said: with ArchiCAD, there's almost always one way:

1. Activate the level dimension tool.
2a. Hit CTRL-A to select all level dimensions, then shift click one of the text boxes to select it.
2b. OR do it backwards: shift click one of the text boxes then hit CTRL-A to select all level dimensions.
3. Change the custom text to your liking.- sea level in this case.

You just have to make sure that after selecting all elements, the last selection is still the level dimension text box, so that the info box shows the text box parameters, not the level dimension parameters, and you can change everything in one go.

The wish and future implementation is appreciated indeed.

Best regards.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I DID NOT KNOW THAT.
Or I think I had, but have forgotten about it.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
sinceV6 wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
As the sales pitch once said: with ArchiCAD, there's almost always one way:

1. Activate the level dimension tool.
2a. Hit CTRL-A to select all level dimensions, then shift click one of the text boxes to select it.
2b. OR do it backwards: shift click one of the text boxes then hit CTRL-A to select all level dimensions.
3. Change the custom text to your liking.- sea level in this case.

You just have to make sure that after selecting all elements, the last selection is still the level dimension text box, so that the info box shows the text box parameters, not the level dimension parameters, and you can change everything in one go.
Maybe I'm missing a step, but this does not work for me. The Info Box remains showing the parameters for the Level Dimension Tool, not the Dimension Text Tool.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It should work. Maybe more detailed steps are needed:
1. Switch to Level Dimensioning Tool.
2. Press CTRL+A to select all Level Dimensions. At this point the Info Box shows the Level Dimension Settings.
3. Now that all Level Dimensions are selected, SHIFT-click the Dimension Text of one of those selected Level Dimensions. At this point the Info Box should be showing the Dimension Text Settings.

Method 2B of sinceV6 is even simpler ("With the Arrow Tool or the Level Dimensioning Tool active, SHIFT-click one of the Dimension Texts then hit CTRL-A to select all level dimensions"). That should work as well.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
These are the steps I take:
1. Select Level Dimension Tool: this tool shows in the Info Box
2. Command-A (Select All Level Dim's): the Level Dimension Tool still shows in the Info Box
3. Shift-click the Text Box of one of the selected Level Dimensions: the Level Dimension Tool still shows in the Info Box. All the Level Dimensions remain selected (selection dot in the middle of the marker).
The only way to get the Dimension Text to show in the Info Box it to select only the Dimension text, without the Level Marker being selected.
Maybe it is a Windows "feature" vs. a Mac "bug".

David
Level_Dim_Text_selection.png
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture