BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Line thickness

Eric Milberger
Advocate

And if it is my high res screens let me know.

I am having a hard time with the line weights you cannot see.  I come from another platform that is wysiwyg.

Not a great program but that helped with detailing

I feel like I am guessing because I really don’t see a good interpretation on what I am getting until I go to PDF.

Are there any thoughts from others As UI largely just want black lines with thickness.  For me colors would typically guidelines so that they dont stand out against the drawing.

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
9 REPLIES 9

Have you tried turning on True Line Weight in display options?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Does to work very well - I king of end up with thin line and very thick line.  and as you scale it does not do the same.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Colours for lineweight is a matter of pen sets.

You can assign a different pen set to your placed drawings on layouts (for black lines) and use one with colour coding for your saved views.

I worked like this for many years. Red = 0.18, black = 0.25, green = 0.35 etc etc

So if your template only has a black pens pen set, you can duplicate this and modify the pens to have colours you are used to from your other software.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

But that is still guessing.  It is not WYSIWYG.

This is even bigger with a higher resolution screen

I tried a lower res screen that is collecting dust and the  ability to see thickness is a little better but on Hi res harder.

It will take some time to get intuitive enough for the best drawings.  They need to equal what I do by hand.   Started that way.  

I only need black with a few colors - that is all fine

The problem is that when I set up 10 black pens with 10 different line weights - the pens just don't show a gradual change from one to another.

@Eric Milberger wrote:

The problem is that when I set up 10 black pens with 10 different line weights - the pens just don't show a gradual change from one to another.

I don't understand what you mean.

The pen thicknesses are exactly as you set them.

So they can be what ever you want.

BarryKelly_0-1676426971662.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

When I open up on. My high resolution screen my lines look all very thin.  I dont see this clean variation anywhere

Doing this for 40+ years and I probably have 10 weights that I am used to seeing all black as I want it to look like the plot.  And then a few colors for special things

Wt is what matters as B&W is what you see in the field and on a plot

Personally I can't stand working on screen with true line weight turned on.

I work in hairline with coloured pens.

I know each colour represents a particular line thickness - a bit like the colours of the old Rotring ink pens.

Then when I place the drawings on a layout, I set them to use a black & white pen set (it does have a few coloured pens as well).

Each coloured pen I used on screen is the same pen thickness, but now black instead of colour.

So I have the best of both worlds.

I can easily model in plan in hairline, but print in black & white with true line weight.

I would like to see a screen shot of some sample lines that you see on screen with true line weight on, and what the weight (thickness) of each of those lines is.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

And I don't like it when the screen does not look like the drawings.

Just need a representation and not a guess

Learn and get certified!