Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Line weights in elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a difficult time controlling the line weights in my elevations. I can change the pens and it works fine when printing plans but not elevations. Are elevations different some how? Is it the 3D representation the controls the appearance in elevations? Is there a global setting for the view that controls this? Maybe its the detail setting?
15 REPLIES 15
TomWaltz
Participant
It depends on what element types you're talking about.

Windows have separate pens for 3D parts, walls and slabs just have an "uncut pen" setting.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am willing to share what I have done. Bringing Archicad into the current firm I am with now has been very challenging. We have great designers and and eyes that are keen to visual graphic output detail. My first AC project for this firm during the construction phase was actually denied. Due to elevation and section visualization of line weights. The section and elevation display is fine if you have accepted the AC program as it. However it was very hard to convince the "eyes" to accept the unmodified sections and elevations. What I have done is changed all pens to the lightest pen and then redrafted with 2-d lines to provide definition. Use object colors and modify line weights
to get your desired results. Hope this works for you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
It depends on what element types you're talking about.

Windows have separate pens for 3D parts, walls and slabs just have an "uncut pen" setting.
The current element in question is a window. I'm trying to get window lines to show up lighter. I have set everything I can find to .07mm. There must be something I'm missing...
Anonymous
Not applicable
DavidCSinohui wrote:
I am willing to share what I have done. Bringing Archicad into the current firm I am with now has been very challenging. We have great designers and and eyes that are keen to visual graphic output detail. My first AC project for this firm during the construction phase was actually denied. Due to elevation and section visualization of line weights. The section and elevation display is fine if you have accepted the AC program as it. However it was very hard to convince the "eyes" to accept the unmodified sections and elevations. What I have done is changed all pens to the lightest pen and then redrafted with 2-d lines to provide definition. Use object colors and modify line weights
to get your desired results. Hope this works for you.
This sounds like too much work...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
info.kaldis wrote:
I am having a difficult time controlling the line weights in my elevations. I can change the pens and it works fine when printing plans but not elevations. Are elevations different some how? Is it the 3D representation the controls the appearance in elevations? Is there a global setting for the view that controls this? Maybe its the detail setting?
The plan view is controlled by the 2D Representation parameters, the elevations are controlled by the 3D Representation parameters.

Elevations can of course be overridden by the Elevation settings. In particular the Uncut Element settings under the Model Display panel.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This sounds like too much work...

Well can I mention the elevation and section controls as far as defining what is in distance and up close has limitations. I believe there is a pen for what is at distance and the other for front display order. This was not a whole lot of definition for the design team. I did not 2-d line everything but only what had
a significance difference in display order. Does that make sense? If anyone else has other ways or performing this task please join the conversation.
KeesW
Advocate
Yes! A topic after my own heart!
Archicad default line weights in elevation (and perspectives) are terrible and it does take a lot of work to get them reasonable. I use Frank Ching as my guide - If only AC could adopt the sketchup line weight system! Perhaps graphisoft has replaced too many architects and artists with computer boffins who don't understand the fundamentals of architectural drafting - or creativity.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
I, too, had difficulties assigning lineweights for walls to define distance. So I set everything to lightest lineweight and drafted outlines at the lineweight I wanted.

And then my new boss says "Why are these different? I like this one. Make all the lines like this." (after seeing my portfolio drawings and asking me to make all the drawings for the project like them...grrrr.) And so, for the first time in 10 years, I don't have to define distance with lineweights.

This makes things easier in ArchiCAD, but reduces the readability of my drawings. So I think I'd rather have at least a near/far distinction (instead of 3 distances, like I did the first time), because I think the next time I submit elevations he's going to ask why they're not more defined.

I understand how to change the walls to read at the lineweight I want, but to have them read that way on all 4 elevations, one has to change the walls every time, no? And the roof as well.
I believe there is a pen for what is at distance and the other for front display order.
What is this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jozzz wrote:
I believe there is a pen for what is at distance and the other for front display order.
What is this?
Marked Distant Area checkbox and Distant Area Options in Section / Elevation tool (may have changed in 11, I haven't looked yet)