BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Missing Model View Options

4dProof
Advisor

Attempting to resurrect an old thread got no response... so I'll rehash the issue here in a NEW one!
Model View Options go missing. This is a problem. We need a solution. This has been happening for years. Documents are going out to permit with no door or window markers. Contractors are getting site plans they can't read because they are littered with door and window markers.
More and more options are getting added to the MVO settings. MVO's are getting way more useful. Show cabinet swing. Merge slab surfaces. Beams center line or outline. Light fixtures symbolic or projected... But all of this is for naught if we have to spend 2 days scrubbing through our documents to make sure the MVO's aren't shooting us in the foot.
Is there any plan to fix AC to prevent MVO's going missing? I have 3 clients who see this issue regularly. I have seen it in my own projects from time to time.
Help me Graphisoft, your my only hope! Still seeing this in AC 26 v5002.
And yes... we are all on the most recent build of AC for all versions. All working on Mac, for the most part (but with my wide range of clients, there is a mix of mac intel, mac silicon, windows).

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
13 REPLIES 13
Victor C Pop
Contributor

At the office I work on a PC but at home/on the go I use my Mac and can confirm this is still ongoing. Not sure if this happens because of the OS switch but I kinda have a feeling it does. Years after initial posts about this issue and GS hasn't done squat to fix this bug. I'm also on the verge of switching teams, as hard as it may be, but things like this really drive you mad. Currently on a project with over 250 different views. How in the world am I going to go through all of them all the time? The list of complaints is just getting longer and longer... and the lack of any response from GS is just astounding.

Archicad 26 INT / Ryzen 3900x, 2080Ti, 64GB RAM / M1 MacBook Pro

there are multiple threads on this particular issue, and you needed to follow all of them, apparently, to get the fix. Here's what a GS account responded with (paraphrased, becuase I'm not going to dig up the exact thread right now, that and I found this workflow the best to guarantee a fix the issue):
-there was an update to AC25 and 26 that "fixed" this
-the update only fixes it for projects started from a template or file that was built after after this update was issued

-to fix existing files:

-Open the t/w file

-save a .pln

-open and repair the .pln

-Relink all missing mvo's in the repaired .pln

-save as a second .pln

-open that file and share as a new t/w file

-verify the new t/w file is properly repaired

Of course all this has to be done when no one else needs to be working on the file... so theres that added complication. To avoid future issues of this in un-repaired files, simply ensure that the entire view map is reserved before making any changes to (or even viewing) the MVO settings dialog.

if there is anything to be learned on this, it is a lesson for Graphisoft. If they are going to issue an update or a fix that repairs such a catastrophic bug, but that leaves the onerous of the repair on the end users, they NEED to issue a press release instructing users on the method of that repair... otherwise we are stuck in the forums and private channels and discussing with our resellers and other AC community connections all wondering what we are supposed to do about this bug that turns our markers on and off per view at seeming random whims.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
LucaP
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I've found multiple threads regarding that issue, but this seems to be the most recent one. I'm replying here with my potential discovery about the cause of that problem - I hope it may lead someone smarter than me (especially from GS) to a solution.

The issue of Missing MVO happens for me only in Teamwork projects (I'm working currently on AC 24 build 7006 POL FULL) and I think I've found out why it happens.

Whenever a user wants to overwrite temporarily Layer State or Pen settings for a view, AC allows him to do that by creating User defined settings for those. That's not how MVO works though (and that seems to be major cause for the problem) - it MODIFIES the MVO WITHOUT creating temporary setting. It shouldn't be allowed in TW projects BUT IT IS. There is a problem that when you open MVO in a TW project there are few settings (seems random) that you are allowed to modify even without reserving MOV settings. Given the fact that MVO works differently from Layers and Pens you end up with settings modified by user that didn't reserve them. It seems to me that this might be the main cause of the problem.

On top of that when you open MVO without reserving and you switch back and forth between MVOs all the settings become locked - so there seems to be a script that controls the ability to edit them for reserved state, but it doesn't seem to run when you open MVO at first.

Here is an example of a MVO window opened without reserving (I can modify couple of settings and still click OK - thus causing a conflict IMO):

LucaP_0-1710491244471.png

And here is a state when I switch back and forth between MVOs (all settings are now locked - which is good - how it is supposed to be):

LucaP_1-1710491273549.png

If this issue has been resolved in more recent versions of AC then great, but maybe it could be an easy fix even for older versions (with just a simple hotfix).

Looking forward to having somebody from @GRAPHISOFT take a look at this.

Have a great and productive day everybody.

Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
MSDC
Contributor

Any updates on this? Obviously still an issue

Learn and get certified!