Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Navigator Sorting issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

So, I am having a problem with the sorting of details in the Navigator.

The naming of the details I guess only makes sense to me, but I am using the following “Rule”.

ID: LG YV-01 (Horizontal Cladding detail 01)
Name: Utv Hjørne (Exterior Corner)

Where I was hoping that it would sort the details according to the ID - but clearly it is not (see attach picture)
And I cannot overrule that, as I can in the Layout Book?

Second question, is there a way to make folders for details?
I’ve tried the "normal" solution" but when I move the details to that newly made folder, Archicad just makes a copy of the detail. It is still visible in the main "detail" folder.

I am about halfway through out details book 80/100 details, so it seems confusing when you have that many details not being able to be sorted better than this?

Again, probably just me who is missing something important here: wink:
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I can see that you have a 'Detail' folders (Detaljer).
You can make as many of these folders as you need - even folders within folders.

The thing you have done though is you have 'cloned' the detail group from the Project Map (it has the small black arrow on the icon meaning clone).
When it is a clone it must have exactly the same content and the group in the project map and it will appear in the same order.

By simply dragging from the Project Map to the View Map (using the 'Organiser'), you can drag each view (or multiple views) into the folder you want in the View Map and you can arrange them in the order that you want - as it will not be a clone.

It just means as you create new details. you have to manually create a view for them.
A cloned folder will automatically create the view for you - that is the trade off.

If you don't use the 'Organiser', you can simply right click on a view point in the Project Map and choose "Save as View".
You will then have to drag it to the location you want in the View Map.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply Barry.

Was a great help, I finally read up on clone folders, was not aware of these until now.
And for the naming issue I had was, I taught that I just rename the details in the Clone Folder, but obviously that won’t change the name of the “main” detail

Follow-up questions to this, can you just delete the clone folder, I assume it will not delete the details in my Project Map?

And I guess it is better to work with details in your Project Map, than in your View Map.
Since that is where all new details would be visible?

And lastly, is there a way to copy a detail to a new project?
I might have gone about this the wrong way, but I made a new "Detailing Project", and I made building parts than I needed details from (Walls/Roofs/Windows etc) and made the detailing around these.

But in new projects where I want to refer to these details or integrate them with our standard company project file could I just copy them, or are they bound by the building mass I draw in the "Detailing Project».
Barry Kelly
Masimo85 wrote:
can you just delete the clone folder, I assume it will not delete the details in my Project Map?

Yes, you can delete anything in the View Map and it will not affect any view points in the Project Map.
The views just contain the settings for layer combination, scale, pen set, graphic override, etc., that you want to see when you use that view.
You can have multiple views of the same view point (from Project Map) with different settings.

Deleting a view will not affect the view points (so you can easily re-create a view), but it will delete them from you layouts if you have placed a view as a drawing.

In the Navigator from left to right you have Project Map, View Map, Layouts and Publisher.
So you use the Project Map view points to create views.
You use those views in your layouts.
And you use those layouts in your publisher sets.
Anything deleted to the left will affect what is on the right of it.
Anything deleted on the right will not affect anything to it's left as it is a copy f you like with various settings.

Masimo85 wrote:
And I guess it is better to work with details in your Project Map, than in your View Map.
Since that is where all new details would be visible?

In Archicad you can open view points in the Project Map, you just have to make sure all of the settings for layer combination, scale, pen set reno filter, graphic override, etc., have all been set correctly and manually yourself.
They do not remember any settings you make.

If you open a view from the view map, all off the settings are saved with the view and are applied when you open it.

You can work in either - you are adjusting the same model either way.
It is just one has manual settings and one is automatic based on how you saved it.

Masimo85 wrote:
And lastly, is there a way to copy a detail to a new project?

If you have used the detail tool to create details, then no, you can't copy the actual detail marker from one file to another.
You can copy the detail marker in the floor plan but it will not copy across the information in it - the same happens if you try to copy section and elevation markers from one file to another.

If it is just a 2D detail, you can select the information in it and copy it from one file and paste to another.
If it is based on 3D information in the model then you will be best to recreate the detail in the new file.

However, you can link a drawing to a view in an external file.
So if you have a 'Detail' file that just contains all of your details saved as views, you can link to them directly form any other file.
This can get a bit messy though.

Personally, I would have a master file with all the details drawn in 2D and then copy and paste the details you need from that file to each job.
More often than not you will find a detail will need fine tuning to suit each job (depending on the type of work you do of course).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, thanks again Barry for a great explanation

One last thing here since the last answer to my question was kind of curveball.

I was hoping to save time, by using building mass to draw up the details. But hearing this looks like I must do all the details over again.

To make this work, could I just create New independent Details, and copy the detail information to that "Detail" - Instead of having to draw up everything up again?

And then delete the original "detail"?
Barry Kelly
When you say "using the building mass to draw up the details" I assume you mean the 3D model/plan/section/elevation, and then you are using the Detail tool to create the detail.

The detail converts the 3D model into 2D lines and fills.

Yes you can copy the content of a detail in your master file into a detail in another file.
You just can't copy the actual detail marker - well you can but it just wont have in detail information in it.

Give it a go and see what happens.
There will be no link between the original detail and the copy, so don't expect to adjust the master and have it update in other file.
I am assuming you do not want a link?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah exactly, im using the 3D modells to do the structural part of the detail, and then i edit them in the 2D drawing.

Okay, I will try to work around with it a bit.
And see what happens

I just wanted to copy the 2D detail information, from the 2D details in our “Master Detailing File”, to our Master Company Project file.
Since most of the details will be used continuously throughout our projects, so I figured it would be helpfull that they (when they are all finished) are avalible in that "Master Template File"