BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

New Smart Guide Feature in AC27

ELEVATE
Contributor

How can I use smart guide so it works with the core of a composite, nit the finish of a composite.  (ex: stud with gypsum board, I need the smart guide to show based on stud, not gyp. bd.) .   Another great feature that ArchiCAD did not take the rest of the way...... So many ways to make this program the best, but as always falling short.....Come on ARCHICAD!   Hopefully I am wrong in this case.   😞  I was excited to use this feature... 

SG.png

SG2.png

9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

@ELEVATE wrote:

Another great feature that ArchiCAD did not take the rest of the way......

That is probably why it is an 'experimental' feature.

Try it out, find the short comings and let Graphisoft know what you think will improve it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hi, I use 10mm gypsum board so just have your interior rooms measured from your studs as +20mm to allow for it, or for 13mm board + 26mm. For now at least till they create fine tune settings for it to measure to the stud core.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

This is possible to do because you can temporary move the reference of the Distance Guide.

To do this, select the element you want to manipulate so the Distance Guides appear.

MoveDistanceGuideReferencePoint-1.png

Now, move your cursor above the Arrowhead of the Distance Guide.

MoveDistanceGuideReferencePoint-2.png

Notice that the Arrowhead becomes empty and it becomes slightly larger. Click on the Arrowhead, and this will enable you to temporarily set a new reference from which the Distance Guide is measured.

MoveDistanceGuideReferencePoint-3.png

Click the Core boundary of the Wall (you may have to zoom in to make sure the Mercedes cursor finds the desired line) to set it as the new reference from which the Distance Guide distance is measured.

MoveDistanceGuideReferencePoint-4.png

Now, type the new distance you want to move your element to. In this example, I typed 400 and pressed ENTER.

MoveDistanceGuideReferencePoint-5.png

The element is moved. Note that the Distance Guide's reference now moves back to its default position (edge of whole element), which is why the Distance Guide displays a distance of 387.5, since the thickness of the finish is 12.5 and 387.5 + 12.5 = 400 mm, so .

MoveDistanceGuideReferencePoint-6.png

Another thing you can try is to use the "Reference Lines" option of the Distance Guides so Distance Guides are measured from Reference Line to Reference Line, not from edge of element to edge of element.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Awesome !

Looks great, but, isnt it easier to just use a couple of clicks along with the distance you want and the + or - keys?

I haven’t tested it yet but if we set the reference line to the core of the wall and the distance guides to measure to the core, shouldn’t that make it even easier ? No addition or subtraction needed either.

There is no information on how to create a door, but that method does not apply.
It may be my fault, but it doesn't work for me right now.

And when creating a Door, it feels like only the reference works. Maybe I'm wrong.
Aren’t other people like that?

AC27 on window 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You guys could start a new Wish topic about how Distance Guide could be improved. 

For example, it could react to Partial Structure setting changes, so in Core Only mode it would consider only Cores.

Or, like jl_lt says, there could be a keyboard shortcut (e.g.; TAB) that would cycle through all edges of a reference element.

All these could be collected in a Wish topic.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Lasz you have a better understanding of Distance Guides and how they can be improved as you have just said. If they could be set to distance to the core of a structure or composite or to the outside edge of a composite wall, that would be a good starting point in improving them.

I think the guys at GS would already be working on it for AC28. Let’s see what they come up with next year hey ? They have already done allot of groundwork and I am sure they’ll get it working much better very soon.

Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!