BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

North symbol: following project north

Johann_P
Advocate
I seem to have 2 questions concerning project north.

First:
Placing a north symbol in the project map seems to work fine and correspond to the "follow project north" setting.
This also works fine when the north symbol is placed on a Master layout.
But:
When I rotate the view 90° to the sheet, the north symbol of the layout does not rotate correspondingly.
This potentially creates a situation where a north symbol on the master layout will be at an angle to the actual north of the plan.

Second
It seems the north does not update on the layout.
When I make a change to the project north it updates fine in the project map.
But I cant seem to get it to update on the layout automatically.
Do I need to right-click and click "update" every time?
But if I draw a wall it updates automatically.

(In fairness, I don't think changing north happens often in a project...)
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
There is no linkage between elements place on a Master Layout (or even directly on a layout itself) and any one drawing on a layout. The intelligent North symbol is associated with a model view (and its drawing) only.

Keep in mind that any number of drawings (views) can be placed on a layout, each with their own rotation. The North symbol should be correct for EACH drawing... no one symbol for the layout itself could be correct (unless all drawing share the same rotation).

Bottom line: don't put the North symbol on your layout - Master or otherwise (...if you ever anticipate placing rotated drawings).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
There is no linkage between elements place on a Master Layout (or even directly on a layout itself) and any one drawing on a layout. The intelligent North symbol is associated with a model view (and its drawing) only.

Keep in mind that any number of drawings (views) can be placed on a layout, each with their own rotation. The North symbol should be correct for EACH drawing... no one symbol for the layout itself could be correct (unless all drawing share the same rotation).

Bottom line: don't put the North symbol on your layout - Master or otherwise (...if you ever anticipate placing rotated drawings).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!