Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Objects cut by Floor plan cut plane

Vincent G_
Enthusiast

Hello,

I'm documenting some kitchens and I was wondering, is there a way to have the floor plan cut plane to "cut" through objects and not see them as if standing above?

In "normal plans" you don't want to, as it is a representation and all you care from the cut plane to cut is "structure" and partition (walls, slabs, stairs etc". If you have your cut height at 1100 and all your furniture are cut it will obviously look weird. 

But on a joinery plan, I want that table to be cut at 800 and only see the cut extend of the legs (and add some annotation for wheels).
Is that possible somehow? Does it only depend on each object's GDL? (all joinery on the screenshot are Ci Cabinet, the display can be set from MVO). Is there a neat workaround, out of modelling the whole table with slabs and columns or duplicating it and using SOEs? 

cut.png

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

Objects do not respond to the FPCP.

They can be scripted in a way to display a cut at a certain level, but I doubt this is ever done.

I am not aware of any objects that do this.

You mention modelling a copy with slabs and columns.

You could also convert a copy to a morph to save re-modelling it, and set the floor plan display to 'Projected' or 'Cut Only'.

Depending on the object this may or may not be acceptable.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Solution
Barry Kelly

Objects do not respond to the FPCP.

They can be scripted in a way to display a cut at a certain level, but I doubt this is ever done.

I am not aware of any objects that do this.

You mention modelling a copy with slabs and columns.

You could also convert a copy to a morph to save re-modelling it, and set the floor plan display to 'Projected' or 'Cut Only'.

Depending on the object this may or may not be acceptable.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you, Barry, I reckon that's my best shot here, turning into a Morph and working out the display. 
I've not seen any object that allows you to choose their cut plan and attribute from MVO than Ci Cabinets. Are you familiar with these guys? Quite awesome stuff!

VincentG__0-1634021740417.png

VincentG__1-1634021772405.png

Pretty clear from the left side, I got 3 duplicated views with different MVO, one at 800 AFFL, one 1100 and one 1800. COmbined with specific layer combo for specific anno and object displays set right, you can potentially do CD doco for joinery. 

I haven't yet explored all of @Podolsky 's incredible template yet, he might have created such objects. That template allows you to control all labels visibility directly from MVO so I wouldn't be surprised to find more on that topic. 

OK, I stand corrected.

It looks like the CI cabinets allow you to set cutting plane heights for plan display.

Looks like it is set independently to the actual Floor Plan Cutting Plane height.

I know of their objects but do not use them.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

You're right, it is more like the Cabinet's floor height cut plan, not related to the view's C-P. Quite neat as it allows you to control how one cabinet displays independently from the view's cut plane. 

I'm just starting with Ci tools, cabinet electrical windows and door and I find them quite handy if one wants to add a level of BIM workflow without having sufficient GDL skills to code this kind of monster alone.

Rajesh Patil
Expert

May be you can try to generate 3D Cut views in Top View Axonometry view and then generate 3D Document of the same.2D Plan2D Plan3D Document in Top View Axonometry3D Document in Top View Axonometry

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

Btw your tricks work like wonder!

VincentG__0-1634023752388.png

VincentG__1-1634023770149.png

That's an interesting lead too, especially for someone that doesn't have access to the Ci Cabinet. Thanks for sharing that idea @Rajesh Patil !