Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

PDF exported file corruption / slow to load

andersfjaeger
Contributor

Hello,
Ive never had issues with previous and much bigger projects but for some reason this exported PDF just barely loads, when it does its low resolution and when i click to a different page it disappears and tries to load again. It's so frustrating. Has anyone experienced this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Thanks for sharing,

I have openede your file in Adobe Acrobat Reader 21.007 and in Chrome. Both took some time (about 30s, pls see attached video). I think that the problem is in the paved areas. Texture is too dense. When you save a pdf file, textures are exploded in to separate lines and dots. They are no longer vectorial. That means that your pavement has now probably milions separate lines, cyrcles and dots which cause problem when opening. 

You have more options how to make it work:

1. change the texture to less hevy one

2. change at least texture for first page which has higher scale. You can do it whit graphical owerrides

3. export pdf as bitmap image. This one is more complicated and there is some quality loss at the end

01.jpg

02.jpg

  

BIM Manager at SIEBERT+TALAŠ
www.sieberttalas.com

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Lukas Zeleny
Enthusiast

Hi can you upload problematic pdf file? Or at least one page?

www.sieberttalas.com

Hello andersfjaeger,

I see you are on macos.

You have to use a real PDF reader which is able to read postscript file.

What is your actual PDF reader ?  Preview.app is not a good postscript PDF viewer.

You have to make a difference between publish a PDF and print a PDF.

How do you export your PDF ?

Did you change PDF export parameters through the publication ? (resolution, layers, etc.)

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

Yeah sure!

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the reply.

I have used Preview on several (much bigger) projects and never had an issue. I have also tried Adobe's PDF reader and that was much the same. My teacher couldn't open my file when i sent him my work too, I'm sure he has all the appropriate software. 

Im not sure what you mean about the 'make a difference between publish a pdf and print"? 

I haven't changed any parameters with the exporting. I essentially just click 'Publish'. 

Anders

Solution

Thanks for sharing,

I have openede your file in Adobe Acrobat Reader 21.007 and in Chrome. Both took some time (about 30s, pls see attached video). I think that the problem is in the paved areas. Texture is too dense. When you save a pdf file, textures are exploded in to separate lines and dots. They are no longer vectorial. That means that your pavement has now probably milions separate lines, cyrcles and dots which cause problem when opening. 

You have more options how to make it work:

1. change the texture to less hevy one

2. change at least texture for first page which has higher scale. You can do it whit graphical owerrides

3. export pdf as bitmap image. This one is more complicated and there is some quality loss at the end

01.jpg

02.jpg

  

www.sieberttalas.com

Andersfjaeger,

When you save a pdf file, textures are exploded in to separate lines and dots. They are no longer vectorial.

Of course, the hatching remains vectorial, but it is indeed a multitude of lines. 

I have used Preview on several (much bigger) projects and never had an issue. 

Please note that the size of a project has no relation to your working method (mastered or involuntary). Each project has its own specificity.
It is very likely that it will be useful to change the more detailed hatching in favor of more sober hatching.
Also, be sure to publish your PDFs rather than saving your PDFs. So you will have access to multiple PDF settings (layers, compression, etc.)

All PDF options are here : https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/24/INT/_AC24_Help/110_Interoperability/110_Interoperability-19.htm

Finaly I wonder about these pictures, are there optimised ?

Capture d’écran 2021-12-16 à 10.24.22.png

For the more difficult PDFs I run them through an Automator script (macOS only), this optimizes my PDF file to make it easy to open and print through Preview.app which is not a good Postscript software.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

Hi Christophe

I was refering more to how software handles the hatch not to its looks. Yes it looks like vectorial hatch in pdf, but software no longer creates it as repeating pattern but like separate objects. And that has strong performance impact.

When you save a pdf file, textures are exploded in to separate lines and dots. They are no longer vectorial.

Of course, the hatching remains vectorial, but it is indeed a multitude of lines. 

I agree that this topic is not realted to size of project. Even a small house can be a performance madness for SW an HW. All is about right tools for right 

www.sieberttalas.com

Thank you so much Lukas! Changing out a few textured fills to solid colour fixed the problem. 

Yes, the solution was just to change out the textured fills / hatching. I learnt a lot from this post , thank you for all your help!

Regards,
Anders