BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF's getting renamed when publishing.

Frillex
Advocate

Hello! 

The last couple of weeks I've somehow managed to make Archicad rename my PDF's when I'm publishing.

As far as I know, I've not changed any settings.

For example: When I publish a PDF with the name A_40-1_12 Archicad will rename it too A_40-1_12_2.

Does anyone knows how to fix this?

I've addad a screenshot of the steps. 

Thanks in advance 

Felix 

Skärmavbild 2022-05-10 kl. 12.01.07.png

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
19 REPLIES 19
rodut1112
Booster

In my case was happening when i have in the publisher, 2 folders(or layouts) with the same name. It doesnt matter if in the layout book was the same, i noticed it if the file to be published was named the same twice in the same publisher set. IF you try separate publishers, does it happen the same>?

Archicad 23/25/26 NL , MacOS 13.4.1 (c) on MacStudio M1 Max
scottjm
Advisor

are those the only 4 drawings in the whole publisher set, or are there other drawings in other folders?

I would suggest rebuilding your publisher set and test only adding the specific drawings you want to publish. If that’s ok then shortcut the whole folder of layouts into the publisher set and see how that goes. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

Hello Scott, sorry for the late answer, I didn't notice that you that you replied. 

It does not matter if there is only one drawing or 10 in the publisher set. 

All I have figured out is that the first time i publish there is no problem. But when i publish a revision _1 och _2 and so on will be added. Even if u publish to a new folder on my computer. 

Thanks for taking your time. 

Felix 

AC 26, OS MONTEREY

There’s not a revision being added to the end of the file name is there? We use a letter followed by a number but is your publisher set set up to add the revision to the end of the drawing/ file name using a number prefixed with an underscore?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

I would try a little experiment.

You say the first time you publish, all is good and the PDF have the names as intended.

Then if you publish again, the names are appended with "_2".

Before you publish again, delete the originally published PDF files from the folder.

So Archicad can not find them and thinks it is publishing for the first time.

If the files now have the correct name, it is an issue that the original files can not be automatically deleted and replaced.

I would suspect some sort of user permissions or something or someone is locking those files.

If the new files are created with a number appended still, hen there is an issue with your publisher set.

As mentioned, some automatic revision number is being appended, or you have duplicate names in the publisher set - which does not seem to be the case.

I am pretty sure, if you delete the PDFs before you re-publish, they will have the correct names.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Are you saving in a folder that is synching to iCloud by any chance?

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

I had an issue like that with iCloud where it would add a number to the end of the file but not an underscore. That issue seems to have been fixed though with more recent updates the macOS and Archicad. I haven’t noticed it for quite some time. I think this can still affect Google Drive, Dropbox and some other cloud synching services though. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

I publish to our server. If the problem occurs and I change the save path to a local folder it still adds the _2 etc. 

But I've learned to live with it. 

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
Lingwisyer
Guru

Do you have the requisite server permissions? Try create a new file on the server, then delete it.

Oh, it happens locally...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Frillex
Advocate

-

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
Learn and get certified!