BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF's getting renamed when publishing.

Frillex
Advocate

Hello! 

The last couple of weeks I've somehow managed to make Archicad rename my PDF's when I'm publishing.

As far as I know, I've not changed any settings.

For example: When I publish a PDF with the name A_40-1_12 Archicad will rename it too A_40-1_12_2.

Does anyone knows how to fix this?

I've addad a screenshot of the steps. 

Thanks in advance 

Felix 

Skärmavbild 2022-05-10 kl. 12.01.07.png

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
19 REPLIES 19

Archicad sometimes adds "_2"  "_3" in the end of file because same name file is published in same place and it cannot overwrite it, so it makes new one with different name. Try to publish files in clean folder with no files inside it.

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the case that sometimes I get this problem when I publish in a newly created folder.

But you are probably right, the problem is most certainly not generated by Archicad. Because even if I publish a PDF in a folder already containing a file with the same name it should just overwrite it. 

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
Lingwisyer
Guru

I think it might be due to having another publisher set with the same name assigned to the layout. Had this issue a while back, and I think it was fixed by deleting the set that was no longer in use.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

@Frillex wrote:

Because even if I publish a PDF in a folder already containing a file with the same name it should just overwrite it. 

This is true, unless the PDF is in use (open) by you or it could be someone else on the network.

PDFs don't show that they are open by someone else - unlike the 'LCK' file we get for open '.PLN's.

I am not familiar with Macs, but on Windows, it is even enough to have the file selected in Windows Explorer with a preview active.

This will force Archicad into thinking the file is in use, although it is not physically open by anyone.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

In this case, mac and windows works the same. But i do think you can publish while have a preview active. It changed somewhere between ac20 and 25. 

AC 26, OS MONTEREY

This might be it, I'll check it out! Thanks! 

/Felix

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
Frillex
Advocate

I got linked to my own thread here from our local reseller when i contacted our support about this. 

So for future users with the same problem: 

The above suggestions did not work.

Our local reseller have sent this to the gurus in Budapest.

I'll let everyone interested know what they say.

/Felix  

AC 26, OS MONTEREY

I found out why. If you have multiple Layouts with the same name, then Archicad will add _2 or _3 cus thats the indication that there is another Layout with the same name in Layout Book.
Use the search bar (AC26+) in the Navigator window to easly find the layouts who gets renamed

Frillex
Advocate

It's strange, but in my case, I'll get the _2 etc even if i don't have two with the same name. 😞

AC 26, OS MONTEREY
Learn and get certified!