Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Print Reference

It would be nice if the Reference would print out at the Reference Intensity you have set rather than always at 100% intensity.

Does it work that way only for me or do you get the same result ?

I am not sure if my plotter will print out the reference at correct intensity for any color or if it is only when making .pdf's that I have this problem.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know the direct answer to your question. But I have used this technique frequently for similar situations: I create a white pen % fill large enough to cover the entire reference, set the fill to an appropriate %, adjust display order and voila, I get the exact print density I desire.
Mjules
Mentor
I can only see the trace & reference on both project and view maps. I can't see it onto the layout book and the publisher sets...

I tried to print some reference this morning but I couldn't. However, when reading the AC 17 reference guide, it seems that said possibility exists. I will try the original technique of Mark later tonight...
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Monsieur Mjules,

To achieve the same effect as if you had a trace on the layout book:

1) start with the layout sans "trace"
2) place another view onto the layout - this is the reference desired.
3) you can set the pens for this second view or reference view to all gray

That is what I understand when people say they have a reference on a layout sheet. I use two pen sets for this purpose, one is the standard issue Electrical pens (mostly gray), and the other is my own absolutely all gray all 0.10mm pen weight set for references such as when making framing plans with walls shown from a different story in "ghosted" format.

PS when you say you see trace in project maps and view maps. I fervently hope you do absolutely NO work in a project map view. That is a very unproductive habit and will cause you no end of misunderstandings of how and why AC works or doesn't work.
Mjules
Mentor
Hi Mark,

I did start with the layout this morning without ''trace". As you suggest, I ll try it, once again, tonight.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgot to mention,
You can see trace in the layout book, just not print it.
Trace in layout book is super useful for making sure layouts on one sheet
are perfectly aligned with another sheet. So maybe all your plans line up form sheet to sheet. it makes for a professional look to your set.

Try it, turn on trace of one layout in another layout, for example:
Mjules
Mentor
Many thanks Mark !
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Stress Co_
Advisor
I'm guessing Steve is talking about printing the trace reference from the Print dialogue?
I get the same thing. It prints full intensity (not as the "sliders" are set).
My workaround is to create a new reference color, which at 100% is the intensity I want for the print.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Stress Co.,

I guess I have button-blindness - never noticed that option!
Nice tip for getting the shade to print correctly.

Mark
Stress wrote:
I'm guessing Steve is talking about printing the trace reference from the Print dialogue?
I get the same thing. It prints full intensity (not as the "sliders" are set).
My workaround is to create a new reference color, which at 100% is the intensity I want for the print.
That is what I am still doing as well. I wish they would fix that in 20.
Also, the reference will not print on top, even if it shows as being on top. A reference will only print below the main view.

I hope they will fix that as well. '

Someone told me that it works fine for them. They were using the Mac version. It could be only a problem for the Windows version. ?

Still a problem 3 years later and reported many times.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25