Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Print size over 3gb for a simple drawing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey bim-istas!
I came across something quite weird the other day.
I imported (referenced) a view from a teamwork file to my paper sheet.
Than I manualy scaled it down to fit the paper as I did not want to chage the scale on the actual view and after I sent it to the printed I noticed that the filesize that was sent to printer was a bit over 3gb and of course everything crashed.
I later tried to change the scale on the actual view, just in case that the scaled down fills would mess up the size but still got the same result.
Any ideas or thoughts?
Paper size : A4
dpi : 600, as usual.

Cheers
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is probably your fills that are causing this huge size.
Probably one or more fills have patterns that are very dense.
You could redefine these fills so that they are not that dense.
Also, you may be able to redefine them to even less dense in the source file, and after you import it in the other file and scale it down, those fills would still be dense enough.
Also, reducing the quality to 300 dpi will also reduce the file size significantly.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
You could redefine these fills so that they are not that dense.
Thank you for the reply!
I thought abou the dense fill too,but as I understand that would result in a less dense fill when I am printing in the correct scale. So I need two different density fills and two different set of views,one for normal scale and another for preview,right?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you mean that you need a separate set of Views for those Views that you then want to place in the other file, then yes, that may be one way.
Or you could also redefine your fills in the Fill Types Dialog to be Scale Independent (Paper Size) so their density is the same no matter the scale or resizing.

But what ultimately matters is how dense the fill appears on the Layout when you try to publish it because that will need to be converted to the print file.
And if at this point the fill is very dense the resulting file will be much greater in size.

At this point, those Fills in your attached image look pretty dense to me, plus 600 dpi could be lowered to 300 dpi. This may be the first thing you could try. Who knows, it might bring the file down to a manageable size.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As always, your help is greatly appreciated!
Will give those advices a shot!
Cheers!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I might be onto a bug here!
In the image that I attached on the first post, I had imported the view from a TW project and then trimmed (redifined) the border and added some new hotspots to get the shape I wanted.
As I already mentioned the print size was over 3gb and could not be printed
Later with the same configuration I kept the shape of the border as rectangle and voila....print size 10mb and a very nice print!
I attached a screenshot with the hotspots that created the problem.
Any thoughts?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So with this polygonal border the print file size is 3 GB while with a rectangular border it is 10 MB? No other change?
If this is so you might want to report this to your local support guys with the file included if possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
So with this polygonal border the print file size is 3 GB while with a rectangular border it is 10 MB? No other change?
No other change whatosever.
And this happens in both the original TW project and on the TW project in which I imported the view.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should definitely report this as a bug.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I will, do you know by any chance if there is a tool to report bugs or do I have to report to my reseller?
I tried to replicate the problem to a new study but I couldn't do it.
It acted as it was supposed to, i guess this is a good thing though