Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Problem with dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a wierd problem with my dimension strings.

As shown on the attachment I am attempting to dimension my stud walls. When using the dimension tool each wall is highlighted, but when the dimension is placed it will not include the dimension from stud to stud, only block to block.

I have the components of the stud walls set to core, and the structure display set to entire structure.

Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
I assume you are using the Dimension tool and not Automatic Dimensioning.

When you place your dimensions and want 'core' dimensions, you need to click on an edge of a wall, not a point (hotspot). Clicking on an edge will dimension both sides of the wall or core.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Sorry I didn't clarify, but yes I am using the Dimension Tool.

I am also clicking on the edge to dimension both sides, then clicking to place the dimension chain location, but then no dimensions appear.

And this is only occurring on the complex profiles that are stud walls.
Karl Ottenstein
Huh. Works for me. After clicking as seen in your PDF, I move the mouse downwards and to the center and click and then hammer down where I want the chain. Maybe I have different tool settings - so screenshot of my Info Box settings attached.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.

I started re drawing some of the walls (with the exact same settings) and it will dimension to the newly placed walls.

I don't have a good explanation for why, I just hope it doesn't become an issue again later.

Thanks for your help.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
My guess is that these walls are not *perfectly* parallel to each other. Or more accurately, not parallel to the first wall you dimensioned to. This first wall will set the vector for the rest of the string, and if the other walls are not perfectly parallel, then they won't/can't be included in the string.

They only have to be .01 degrees out!

Cheers,
Link.
Djordje
Ace
Link wrote:
My guess is that these walls are not *perfectly* parallel to each other. Or more accurately, not parallel to the first wall you dimensioned to. This first wall will set the vector for the rest of the string, and if the other walls are not perfectly parallel, then they won't/can't be included in the string.

They only have to be .01 degrees out!

Cheers,
Link.
Agreed. This looks like one wall being an imperceptible bit off.

Make sure to ALWAYS hold the shift for vertical and horizontal, or - if the walls are at an awkward angle - use the Parallel modifier or Multiple offset.

If the offending wall is still around, start the dimensioning chain from that wall. If it cannot dimension any others, that's it. Clicking on the reference line dimensions only the walls that are absolutely perpendicular to the dimensioning chain.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen