BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Renovation: Ganged Windows

Lingwisyer
Guru
Hi all,

I have a window that is to be removed (width marked by witness lines on the right) and replaced by a larger series of windows. In "Demolishing" this window, a "New" wall is created to fill the hole left behind. A new set of ganged windows is then created spanning over this hole.

It would appear that "New" walls created by "Demolishing" prevent windows, and I would assume doors, from ganging in plan within their area? Is there something I have missed or some work around to get them to gang properly?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
11 REPLIES 11
ChrisB
Participant
Barry,

Similar thoughts but as you can’t have a window/door without first forming the opening, I would prefer it if the window/door object was associated with/attached to the opening instead i.e opening tool becomes the primary tool with window/door as option. Ideally…
  • Place opening in wall using enhanced (custom shape, lintel option, cavity closers option, display on home story only, invisible fill option to boundary instead of inherit from wall) opening tool
  • Add standard Archicad window/door object to opening i.e. no longer associated to wall but associated with opening instead. Move the opening, the window/door/lintel/cavity closers move with it etc
  • Following issue of basic window/door schedule, the ability to replace the standard window/door object with specific object provided by preferred window/door manufacturer showing correct structure/detail etc

Ling,

I normally only use one opening per window/door & highlighting demolished elements hasn’t been a problem (so far) although I vaguely remember having to play around/fine tune the opening/renovation settings to get this to work the way I wanted it.

In the images you provided…
  • are you saying that the window should be showing but it can’t be seen (in the layout or 3D) due to the empty fill of the opening?
  • can you explain further how you’ve setup this configuration up e.g. window (with or without opening?) set as To Be Demolished?; with new opening (same size or larger than existing?) set as Proposed?; new window set as Proposed?
  • can you show how you’d (ideally) want it to look?
AC16-24 Solo (latest version)
OSX 10.15.6 - MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 - 64Gb DDR4 - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Lingwisyer
Guru
Existing wall, Demolished narrow window, New set of five ganged windows with a wider overall width, New opening matching new width.

In the Demolition Filter the windows to be demolished are hidden by the new wider opening; a white fill in plan and the wall surface in everything else.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!