BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation changing composites

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to change the make up of a composite with renovation filters? I am adding on to a house and the exterior finish is brick which now needs to be only sheetrock. The core of the wall does not need to be changed, only the finish of the wall. Is this possible?
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
jtcatjba:

The Renovation Filter can change all elements to a single Surface, but this is not what you want. Select the Walls, open the Wall Settings > Model pane, click the Outside Face Surface and change its setting to the desired Surface.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
That will change the surface for the model. I need to change the composite for the floor plan view so that instead of showing brick, airspace, sheathing, stud, gwb, is shows gwb, stud, gwb. It is not a wall for demo so I cant just demo and draw new wall, only change the composite so that it does not show the brick and airspace and only shows GWB.
Barry Kelly
I'm not fully conversant with the renovation filter as I don't really use it.
But the problem you have is the original brick, airspace, sheathing, stud, gwb wall is one element so you will need to mark that entire wall as 'demo' and then replace with a new gwb, stud, gwb wall.

Otherwise you will need to split the existing wall into two separate walls side by side which won't help you in the placement of doors and windows as they will belong to only one of the walls - the other will need empty openings placed in it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
jtcatjba:

Barry is correct, the Renovation Filter cannot be used on parts of a composite wall (the entire wall has one Reno Status). As he said, you have 2 options:
1. Demo the entire existing wall and place a new wall
2. Create 2 walls side by side (one for the brick to be demolished, the other the stud wall to remain).

Thanks for adding the signature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick replies. I think ArchiCAD needs to address this issue as it would be helpful for many aspects of the design. That being said, thank you for your help. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Jeremy
Learn and get certified!