Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Shadows in architectural documentation

Tibor K
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you take pride in your architectural documentation? Accurate shadows are a great enhancement for your 2D and 3D Documents. Based on your feedback, we’d like to make shadows in ARCHICAD more powerful and easier to use.

Please, fill out our Survey!

https://bit.ly/3caSsnn
Tibor R Kis
Design Services Lead, Graphisoft
26 REPLIES 26
Thanks for posting this. It's a timely and welcome subject to offer feedback on. I've invited my 60 colleagues to all participate. We hope that you will follow this up with another survey that goes into greater depth once you've compiled the results of this survey.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
DGSketcher
Legend
Done. Thanks for asking. Hope this is the first of many step in simplifying the whole user interface,
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Eduardo Rolon
Done.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

henryL
Enthusiast
Done. Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Done and thanks!

BTW. I think that a new AC Shadow Catcher Surface would be handy. Especially for photo insertions.
FYI: Shadow Catcher Surface/Material, is a surface/material that is invisible but cast/receive shadows.

Cheers,
runxel
Legend
Great! Done it.

I think the most important part – to extend what Braza said – is, that what we see, and what the sun sees, should not be treated equivalent.
If I cut in 3D many times I'd rather see the shadows acting as if I didn't cut.
There needs to be some kind of switch I'd say 🙂
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tibor wrote:
Do you take pride in your architectural documentation? Accurate shadows are a great enhancement for your 2D and 3D Documents. Based on your feedback, we’d like to make shadows in ARCHICAD more powerful and easier to use.

Please, fill out our Survey!

https://bit.ly/3caSsnn

Shadows-01-square.png
Great idea. Done it!
KeesW
Advocate
Done survey.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
The survey could have been real short for me. The reasons I may want to use shadows or not are the same no matter what the view is Floor plan, Section, Elevation, 3D Document....

A good question might be - how satisfied are you with how you are able to show shadows where you want them? Where is showing shadows where you need them using up too much time ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25