Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Shadows in architectural documentation

Tibor K
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you take pride in your architectural documentation? Accurate shadows are a great enhancement for your 2D and 3D Documents. Based on your feedback, we’d like to make shadows in ARCHICAD more powerful and easier to use.

Please, fill out our Survey!

https://bit.ly/3caSsnn
Tibor R Kis
Design Services Lead, Graphisoft
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

Are you aware of the "Marked Distance Area' option in the settings for sections and elevations?
Not a 'fog' as such but it does reduce the weight (and color) of the linework in the distance area that you set.

Barry.

Thank you so much. I am aware of this feature and I have used it. Maybe I need to play a bit more with it. What I have seen on other software drawings is lines getting automatically dimmer as you get farther and farther away from the elevation or section line. I think in Archicad you are only allowed one iteration of lighter linework. Probably not a critical item but it did look very nice for schematic linework, less important for construction documentation.
Barry Kelly
Yes it is a one step only reduction and you have no control over the amount of reduction in line width or colour.
I think it is around 50%.

It is also rather abrupt when you have elements that span through both distance areas, like angled walls or roofs with a surface hatch.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
I guess technically the OP was about shadows but this thread has taken on a wider trajectory that suggests perhaps GS should be thinking more in terms of preset presentation settings for views with more than just shadow adjustments. If that were the case then fog / fade adjustment would be a nice addition. In section / elevations this could be simply controlled by the Limited Range depth markers representing 0 - 100% fade.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
I guess technically the OP was about shadows but this thread has taken on a wider trajectory that suggests perhaps GS should be thinking more in terms of preset presentation settings for views with more than just shadow adjustments. If that were the case then fog / fade adjustment would be a nice addition. In section / elevations this could be simply controlled by the Limited Range depth markers representing 0 - 100% fade.

Sorry I did not mean to derail the conversation. I can post this in the appropriate thread after we see what the new version has in store for us.
DGSketcher
Legend
@Nardo99, I don't think you derailed this any more than the rest of us! I was just pointing out to all that are interested, that a narrow remit of using shadows has opened up some valid questions and suggestions about the whole presentation workflow. It would be great if GS take these on board including your fade suggestion.

Thank you for your positive contribution.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
jl_lt
Ace
Agree with everyone. Even one aditional optional depth level within the marked distance area would be a great adition.

Also, i would really like to see what Mr. Tomek proposes with the ambient oclussion for white view.

Yes I do take pride in architectural documentation - do GS? Ambient occlusion and ability to have shadows from cutaway objects are two straight forward features that you can't ignore if you are earnest in the effort to improve shadows in AC. Is there a report of this survey and any resulting improvements?